Daisychaining question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhamerphoto, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I know tons of people ask about daisychaining, and I know what to do, but before I buy a small portable hard drive, I was wondering if I could use both FW400 and 800 at the same time in one daisychain. It would look as follows:

the small portable hard drive plugged into a G-tech Quad-interface 320gb drive via FW400, which will be plugged into a LaCie 1tb drive, which will then be connected to my MBP via FW800.

Will this work and all drives will show up?

thanks!

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

So you're going: MBP <-FW800-> LaCie <-FW400-> other HDD. I have the 500GB iteration of the LaCie D2 Quadra and I just tested this out in the configuration above and it does work. Both drives show up on the desktop. I cannot give you specs on transfer speeds though.

3. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

There's another drive in there, but it's essentially the same...

Macbook Pro <-FW800-> LaCie 1Tb <-FW800-> G-Tech 320gb <-FW400-> portable drive

As long as they show up, I assume the portable would maintain FW400 speeds.
    Thanks again!

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Ahh well I can't test that setup as I only have two externals. :eek: Sorry. Just out of curiosity, why not just plug that last FW400 directly into the MBP?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

While I'll be darned if I can find the source to quote, I read not that long ago that if there is ANY FW400 involved (at any position) in a FW800 daisy chain, it will cause the entire chain to step down to FW400 speed.

I came across that when doing some research that wound up with me adding a PCI card with two additional FW 800 ports for the menagerie of FW drives I had up until recently in my backup set.

If I can find one of those sources I will post it back here.

6. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Xander:

I would, but as a photographer I use my firewire 400 port for my CF reader for faster download speeds. I also use FCP at times, so downloading DV tapes via FW400 is also important.
    If you're wondering why I haven't tested this with my FW400 reader yet, it's because in my current MBP, the logic board is failing and the FW800 port doesn't work and the 400 port sort-of works haha.
    Thanks for your help though!

sickmacdoc:

That would suck, but I guess it's a trade-off. At least as just a small-capacity portable drive, I wouldn't have it plugged into my setup all the time.

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep, that is true- at least the time when running at FW400 would be minimized that way.

8. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

just thought also...

it shouldn't matter if the drives are different formats right?
    my 2 desktop drives are mac formatted, but I intend on keeping the portable one FAT32.

this is mainly just to store pictures on for travelling and using computers other than my own.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No, the format of the drives should not have any affect on the transer rates- you are correct. The transfer rates are determined by the interface electronics in the drive and in the Mac.