DaisyDisk App/HDD Space Error?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. French, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Mr. French macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm using an app called DaisyDisk to clean up my HDD - the thing I don't get is, why the #'s don't add up? The app says I've used 168gb, meanwhile I only see about 90gb worth of data underneath. See my image below:

[​IMG]

Anyone have an idea? Does it have anything to do with TM local snapshots?

Thanks

2. liya1201 macrumors member

Methinks DaisyDisk could only see your own account, meaning there are some other user accounts that DaisyDisk can't see. I could be wrong!!

3. Mr. French thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no other user accounts on this computer besides mine unfortunately

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Those apps do not show many hidden and system folders such as the local snapshots /.Mobilebackups folder.

Run the command below in Terminal and it will show you all the base folders and space used by each in GB. This will include all hidden and system folders.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /

5. Oleg K. macrumors newbie

Yes, I think most likely the TM local backups are the culprit. See http://daisydiskapp.com/manual/3/en/Topics/TimeMachine.html

You can use the "Scan as Administrator" command in DaisyDisk to see the whole picture. It is equivalent to running the app via "sudo" as Weaselboy suggested, but in a more convenient way :) See http://www.daisydiskapp.com/manual/en.lproj/Topics/AdminScan.html

(The command is available only in the stand-alone version of the app, but if you own the Mac App Store version, you can get the stand-alone license for free)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use a similar trick with OmniDisksweeper by launching it with sudo so it can see hidden files. I just find it easier on forums to ask people to run the Terminal command so we can see their results posted up easily. Either way gets the job done though.

Seems we have scared off the OP. :D

Code:
    sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

7. Mr. French thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys - everything worked out in the end.

Whenever I see the sudo command, I honestly do get a little scared, ha!