Dallas Sporting Venues = Bizarre iPhone Behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by muskratboy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. muskratboy macrumors 6502

The last few times i've been to Dallas sporting events with my iPhone, it has just acted strangely.

Last week on the way to Texas stadium, my phone:

showed five full bars of 3G, but would not actually connect anywhere or make a call. even when i manually turned off 3G, it still showed 5 full bars of 3G... but was essentially a paperweight, communications-wise.

so i restart. it comes up No Service for about 5 minutes. Then shows 2 bars of EDGE, and seems to be connecting online...

Then back to 5 bars of 3G. Except this time, now it is fluctuating between 3-5 bars 3G... still unable to connect or even make a call. Even when turning off 3G, i still got the same fluctuating-but-strong 3G connection / no connection.

The ballpark did the same sort of thing... showing connected but not actually connected.

anybody else get this?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sporting events are common choke points for cell networks, and there are areas where [insert cell carrier here] hasn't beefed up cell towers to accommodate stadiums that get full. So you're going to see this in areas where there's a lot of people and not enough cell capacity to handle everyone making calls, sending texts or transferring data.

Some cell companies do better jobs than others in different places. AT&T apparently hasn't beefed up in Texas.

I work near a university stadium, and prior to AT&T I was on Sprint. On nights where there's football games, not only was I stuck at work late because traffic's a mess, but I couldn't make calls on the SPrint phone either until the area cleared out. AT&T is somewhat better in my case though.

3. S Brake macrumors regular

I had the same problem at a football game on Saturday but we won so I wasn't too bugged.

4. trs23 macrumors member

This happens everywhere I go to a game

White sox at us cellular
    Cubs at wrigley
    Cardinals in stl
    Edward jones dome -> STL

It also happened at the air and water show (my wife could only send me a SMS we couldn't call each other)

also happens most evenings on the brown or red line in chicago right between armitage / fullerton (tons of students at depaul).

ATT Just doesn't give enough capacity at those areas. Super annoying