Damage control? Coffee spill on trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AG2347, Mar 2, 2012.

1. AG2347 macrumors newbie

A friend just spilled a few drops (like 3 or 4) of coffee right at the edge of the trackpad of his 2011 MacBook Pro. He wiped it off, but some did go into the crack and the screen started moving around erratically for several seconds. When the movement ended, he tried to use the trackpad - and it worked for a few seconds - but then the erratic shifting of screen shots resumed. He turned it off, removed the power cord, and is planning on keeping it off for a few days. Any further guidance or advice on what to do at this point? Any predictions on nature/extent of damage? Thanks.

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

removed the cord as in the charging cord, or the battery cable inside the machine?

3. AG2347 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response. just the power cord. we were in the library when the incident happened -- not sure if he has a screwdriver of the necessary size to open the computer and remove the battery. is doing so essential to ensuring optimal recovery?

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

The charging cord doesn't have any bearing on the battery connection, I.E., even if your charging cord is unplugged, and the battery is charged, there's still going to be power going to the logic board. If you take the battery cable out it will be the most optimal, however not necessary for the MBP to recover fully. Did you put it in desiccants when you got a chance?

5. AG2347 thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know, thanks. he actually turned it on today, and it seems to be working just fine. big relief.