Damage to MacBook... how much you think it'll cost?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alexpja, Oct 7, 2011.

1. alexpja macrumors member

Copied from my Facebook status:

"I hate spiders even more now. Some spider got on my head and scared the crap out of me, and my MacBook was on the armrest thing, iPod cable plugged in, I flipped the Mac, iPod cable was strong enough to bend the metal in the Mac that keeps the USB ports, charging port, etc. The plastic topcase raised itself because of the bent metal, I have no iPod cable, and I am using my least-favorite MacBook Pro e.e..."

Here are pictures of the damage:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.119336251507816.22855.100002943245146&l=40650008b2&type=1

Do you think it will cost much to repair the MacBook? It's a 2008 Black MacBook, no warranty. I heard Apple has flat-rate repairs for older MacBooks and such, but I dunno about that. USB ports don't work, but charging port works.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll need a new logic board if you want the USB ports back, whihc probably runs around $400. Add on another $100 or so for the top case replacement.

3. alexpja thread starter macrumors member

I guess I'll visit the Apple store today then, and shell out the $500...

4. bootloader macrumors newbie

5. CaptMurdock, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Unless you absolutely, positively, need the newest model of MacBook, I'd spend $500 getting an older one off eBay. I'm driving a 2009 Book I spent about that much on eBay.

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Definitely not worth the $500 replacement.

7. alexpja thread starter macrumors member

Daddy long leg spider.. HATE THEM.

I went to Apple with a Genius Bar appointment, and the girl who was fixing my Mac just unbent the metal that holds the casing inside, and USB port functionality was restored, b/c it put too much pressure on the USB ports, topcase was fine, and got a new iPod cable... all for free.

No warranties, except on my MacBook Pro, and one month left of the limited warranty for my Mac mini.

I gave her $30 as thanks.