Damage to your iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by melman101, Apr 13, 2011.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey all,
    As some of you might know, I dropped my iPad 2 last week, and I got a nick on the bottom center of the screen :-(. I'm super upset. Anyhow, I applied a crystal film, (too little, too late). I did find dust under the screen with a flashlight.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering how many people already have scratches, nicks, or distortions on their iPad 2 screen already. It's obviously not a big deal, but in my head it is. I tried to be super careful, and one little mistake with FaceTime and bam, nick on the screen. This sucks.

Mel

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have a tiny little chip in the front part of the silver lining. It is right between the right side and the home button. It is less than a millimeter long so I don't worry about it too much. Nobody has ever noticed but me, I don't know how it happened though.

3. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah it's obviously not a big deal, and no one would notice, except for the fact that I know it's there in my head. I tried to baby it, and then one day, bam, fell over right on the screen. I know I'll forget about it eventually but it sucks for right now

4. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

it all adds character

i don't care unless the screen breaks or something lol

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I have a "character" mark that looks like a piece(hairline piece) of the aluminum was scraped off and got stuck under the bezel. I doubt its aluminum though, but it is shiny. U can only see it when the right light hits it. its strange and Im not sure if its actually something stuck under there or if its a scratch underneath the screen. VERY STRANGE!

6. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

:eek: i have 3 nicks on the bottom , my daughter ofc , thats what i get for not protecting the back <,<

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

8. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Anyone else have any nicks or damage to your screen? Is there anything you did about it? Its the equivalent of 1 dead pixel but it's driving me nuts. LOL.

I guess I could send it in for insurance, but it just seems silly at the moment.

E-Mail from Worth Ave. Group:

A policy with Worth Ave. Group covers theft, fire/flood and natural disaster
    damage and accidental drops/spills/liquid submersion. If you would drop the
    iPad and it would be scratched or get a crack/dent, then it would be
    covered. If it develops scratches or marks from using it and carrying it
    around, it would not be covered as we do NOT cover wear and tear.
    Thank you.

Customer Service
    Worth Ave. Group
    PO Box 2077
    Stillwater, OK 74076
    Phone: (800) 620-2885
    Fax: (405) 372-9584

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:13 PM
    To: contactus@worthavegroup.com
    Subject: 2 year iPad insurance policy accidental damage?

To Whom it May Concern:
    ****I purchased an iPad 2 insurance policy from WAG on the day I got
    my iPad, or very next day. Anyway I just had a question. Last year I
    had square trade and I had a very visible scratch on my original iPad
    which they would not cover. This time around I decided to go with you
    guys in the hope that the customer service is better.

****What type of damage would constitute a claim? If I get nick or
    scratch on my ipad 2 screen that is in my working screen area, is that
    covered? I couldn't find any information on your website.

****Thanks for your time and help!

Sincerely,

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I put a nice ding in my first iPad, which was exchanged for backlight bleed for one without any bleed. This iPad has no damage and is in my Incase Book Jacket so it should stay that way.

10. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I got a minor scratch on my new ipad's screen but I fixed it and now it's honestly better than new.

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Honestly, I think they feel more like they`re mine once there`s the odd little nick or scrape.
    I could tell my iPad apart from anyone elses just from the feel of odd little blemish`s on it. (Not that it looks banged-around or anything:))
    Same with my MBP.
    Aluminium can age quite nicely and develop a unique character like a favourite pair of jeans.

Or you can put it in a bag with your keys by accident and it can look like it`s just done a tour in a warzone. (Not guilty, but i`ve seen the results on my wife`s unibody HTC Legend, nasty :eek:)

12. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ahhh yes, I read that thread. Pretty amazing actually. Wish I lived near you, LOL :). I'd be too scared though anyhow :)

13. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Too bad I'm not closer to you or I'd hook you up. :) Honestly it was a much easier process than it looked and almost impossible to screw up, although if you're able to feel the scratch with your fingernail then it's too deep for me to fix. Minimize, yes, but remove, no.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only concern I'd have with damaging the exterior of my iPad (or any other device) is if service was subsequently rejected because of the damage, even if it wasn't the cause.

15. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree. But in my instance, it's unnoticeable. And now I got a screen protector on. Lastly, I do have accidental damage with Worth Ave Group like I stated above. So even if it was the result of an accident, I'd still be ok. I just hate little blemishes like I have. It's unnoticeable to someone looking at it but I know it's there. Like I said, it looks like one dead pixel an inch above the home button

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I have discovered that with my iPhone and iPad, sometimes I think I'm too careful..almost to the point of dropping them or something. For example, I'll be looking it over closely so much that i almost lose the grip on it. I'm trying to be less like that but the transition isn't easy!!! lol

17. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

That is exactly how I am. I was just doing something stupid which I thought was a designed feature (standing up in portrait using smart cover) but obviously wasn't, and then bam, it fell forward with the screen hitting the table.

I wish I didn't examine it. I never would have noticed if I wasn't OCD. When I show it to people they think I'm crazy.

18. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I've got a few issues with mine. like many others i have the little nicks/scratches from the pressure pins on the dock connector, and I have two little weird nicks/dents by the volume rocker (not sure how it happened) but worst of all I have a dent in the back of the ipad. I had it between the center console and passenger seat in my car and my friend was half out the window trying to reach their mailbox (it was high, my car is low) when they went to sit down again their pants pocket caught on the corner of the ipad and bent it back.

I unbent it as much as I could but there's still a dent in the back (most people don't notice but me) I'm thankful the screen didn't break but I really wanted to sell it in good condition next year.

I too have a third party warranty (squaretrade) that covers accidental damage, but it's also transferable so I haven't decided what's worth more, a fresh ipad, or a used one with an accidental damage warranty.

I figure for now I'll leave it as is just in case something REALLY bad happens like I break the screen. and maybe it'll just have a little accident all on it's own a few weeks before iPad 3 is announced next year.

19. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I should add that like the OP, even though most people don't notice these things, I know they're there and that bugs me all the time.

20. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I have a strange little damage mark on mine and have no idea how it got there. At the corner near the volume controls there is a little bend in the bezel almost like it got slightly compressed or something. It's minor but of course I see it now every time I look at it.

My wife thinks I am nuts. I have a 45 day return period at B Buy and could simply return and re-buy, etc, although I suppose then I run the risk of getting one with a more significant screen problem.

21. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

I wonder if apple care covers such thing

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Apple care doesn't cover accidental damage.

23. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah AppleCare doesn't cover it. I haven't tried a replacement but that is generally the line I get. "Scratches or damage on the screen is not covered by warranty."

I have a Worth Ave. Group insurance policy which actually does cover it, but I don't even notice it anymore, so I'm good.

24. Psychmike macrumors regular

I'm sure no one likes that first scratch / nick / chip on their new device, but the more you place your sense of well-being onto external things, the more anxious you're likely to feel.

Some prudence is appropriate, but it's up to you how you invest your time, money, energy, and sense of self. You can pour hours, dollars, heartache, and worry onto protecting, examining, and mourning over your belongings, or you can take a walk outside, spend time with friends and family, or learn something new.

Best,
    Mike