Damaged 4s mainboard during battery replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by flatom, Sep 11, 2014.

1. flatom macrumors newbie

What a dope I am. I had a perfectly fine 4s and replaced the battery myself due to get longer battery life. Upon reassembly, it will no longer charge the battery though the indicator shows charging.

Took it to a local cell phone repair shop who tried replacing the charging dock to no avail. They think a capacitor on the mainboard shorted and say they don't replace mainboards.

I'd rather get this phone fixed than replace it if it's economically feasible. I'd really like to be able to save my photos, settings, etc which didn't all come over in a restore to an old iPhone 4 I have. Some photos and part of my address book restored but not all. I don't get it. :(

Can anybody advise me what to do? Is the 4s toast?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The flash memory is on the MLB, so if you replace the logic board, you will lose everything. The only way to recover the data is if you can get the phone to boot in its current state.

A logic board will cost around £100. You will also lose value since the internal serial/imei won't match the outside. You also need to be careful you don't get one locked to the wrong network or that's blacklisted.

If they can identify which cap has gone, it *might* be possible to fix this.