Damaged band - free replacement !

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by s66, Dec 12, 2016.

1. s66 macrumors newbie

I went to the Apple Store today with a damaged band. It was a black leather loop (not sold anymore) - bought it together with my original apple watch. The leather and the metal where it slides in the watch were separating.

So, upon entering the very busy store, I showed the separating band to a staff member and he got it to the back and came back with the message that it would be replaced and I had to make an appointment with the genius bar to get it done.

A lunch and 2 hours later (the store was _really_ busy) I walked out of the store with the band of my choice: the black leather loop is not only not sold, nor manufactured anymore, but they also have no more supply for trade-ins in case it breaks. Hence, I got to chose what I wanted. I picked the black milanese loop (no leather to metal connection, no buckle to scratch my mac and of course black).

And it was free of charge. I didn't even have to pay for the price difference.

The genius did need a few trips to the back to get it all sorted and approved as this was obviously not their normal routine.

I do have AppleCare+ on the watch, but that wasn't even involved. Even before I had the genius bar appointment, and they even knew anything about who I was (nor which watch I had), I was already told: "It's an Apple watch accessory that's failing, we will replace it".

Anyway: if your band is broken or failing, you might get a free replacement.
    Obviously, I can't know just how much luck and how much policy was involved. But as far as I'm concerned: Apple service on Apple watch accessories rocked today!

2. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Was there a limit on the value of your replacement? Could you have gotten the link band for example?

Nice service from Apple. Good to hear some positive stories on here

3. s66 thread starter macrumors newbie

No idea to be honest. It never was about money or value.

I had expressed concern over them not selling the black one anymore early in the conversation with the Genius. I was told that they sometimes have stock just to replace things, and that it would be checked. A bit later there was the confirmation that they would be unable to replace it with the same band I had. At that point I was asked what I wanted instead and the genius had a long scrolling list on his iPad, but since I knew what I wanted, I didn't read any of the options, and just said what I wanted.

Had it not turned out like it did, I would likely have bought the milanese loop on my way out.

4. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Cool. I was just curious if they would have allowed for that. I guess it would have been better for them just to refund your money rather than go with the more expensive option. Good on them for making you satisfied with your purchase.

5. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

If you really love the Black Leather Loop you can pick one up online
    But it is really nice that they gave you a more expensive band just to make you happy

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The leather loop and Milanese are the same price. He didn't get a more expensive band. It's equal in value.

7. s66 thread starter macrumors newbie

The black leather loop is NOT available from Apple anymore all they have are a "gray" and a "midnight blue". Checked both the local and the US versions of the store. And it was confirmed by Apple that they don't even have anything left over to do swaps with.
    I'm not into knock-off products.

The black milanese loop is 199 USD, the leather ones are 149 USD in the US online store, similar pricing on my local store.

8. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I mean from somewhere else

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

You're correct. I forgot the Black Milanese is $50.00 more. You should post a picture sometime to see it paired with your Watch.

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Cool.

Now to figure out how to damage my still-excellent Sport band and "trade up" to the Link bracelet.. Hm.. how likely are they to go for it? ;)

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I own the regular and black stainless bracelets. Not cheap, but one of the most intriguing pieces of jewelry I have owned with the ingenuity of the link removal. I believe Apple stated it takes nine hours to manufacture each strap.