damaged hard drive/ file recovery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcginno, May 12, 2011.

1. mcginno macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a Macbook pro duel core 2.66, with a 7200rpm 320gb hard drive. Just recently it packed up and now when I turn it on I just get a grey apple screen and the sun symbol/timer but it never goes past this no matter how long you wait. I have tried booting in safe mode, which shows some files missing, I have tried running disk repair from boot up, with no success, it says disk was unable to repair, restore from time machine, which I tried but it cant see my hard drive?. I tried running Disk Warrior and this did not have any success. So My question is there anything else I can do? if not does anyone know of any file recovery software that is free/cheap/good that I can get to try and save some of my family photos/movies beforwe I try a complete wipe.
    Please could some one help, getting a bit desparate now.

2. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would get a new drive since this one seems fried then you can either restore the new drive from time machine or stick the old drive in an external enclosure and try to access the files

3. mcginno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, So if I got apple to remove and install a new drive I could get them to give me back the old one and try and remove my files with an enclosure, where could I get an enclosure from ?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Newegg.com has a ton of cheap 2.5'' enclosures.

5. mcginno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mate:)