Damaged iMac found after Break In

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arthursiew, Sep 14, 2010.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

My house was broken into sometime during Labor Day weekend. After two days, one of the investigators found my iMac hidden to the side of my house. They gave it back to me after searching for fingerprints and I found lots of dents all over the sides of the computer. It still powers on, but we don't know how they handled it while they were trying to take it with them. The insurance company, Farmers, will come in pretty soon and I'm not sure what to say to them about it. I'm only concerned about potential problems that might come later relating to the damage because some think that they dropped it from the roof even though there wasn't that many signs of that. What do you think? Thanks!

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Tell them it got damaged during the break-in. Pretty simple, really. ;)

3. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

They might ask me to turn it on and then just assume it's working. I'm worried that they will assume it's working and sometime later the iMac breaks down because of what happened.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You purchased it for both its usefulness, as well as its decor. It's no longer fulfilling 1/2 of that, it may not fulfill the other 1/2 for much longer.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would take it to an Apple store and have them evaluate it. If there are problems, then you can submit it to your insurance company.