Damaged Install Discs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mizelly41, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

I bought my Macbook a little over a year ago so it came with Tiger, but I upgraded to Leopard when it came out. Yesterday I put a bigger hard drive into my Macbook and put a fresh copy of Leopard on it. I then got my disc's that came with my Macbook (Tiger) so that I could install the application like garageband. After putting the first disc in and starting the installation, everything goes fine. Then it tells me to put the second disc in. After about two minutes on that disc an error comes up saying that the disc is damaged and I need to try again from another copy or contact Apple. The disc has never been used since I got the Macbook so I don't know how it could be damaged unless it came out of the factory damaged. My question is: Is there anyway to get around this so I can get those apps installed, or how do I contact Apple about getting new discs (or any other suggestions)?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

1-800-MY-APPLE

Give tech support a call.

3. !on macrumors member

is it scuffed / scratched? you could try them mechanical cd repairers that grind / polish the surface of the disc. the data is right under the label, you can do this quite a few times.

4. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

I just called Apple and they are sending me new disc. The guy did tell me that normally you only have 90 days after purchase to file a damage complaint, which I thought was odd. I previously had a dell laptop and lost the discs for it after about a year and they sent me fresh copies of everything the next day. Although this is Apple's policy, the guy on the phone was VERY nice and is sending me the discs at no costs. APPLE IS AWESOME!

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Within the first 90-days it is under the complimentary service, after that it falls into another program.

Can't remember the name, but they were usually about the same price as the old up-to-date programs (not the $5 one) the old $19.95 one.

If the computer is under warranty, a "I erased my drive, now my computer doesn't work," helps and, "the DVDs don't work. My computer is dead, wahh."