Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
any ideas? have tried to DL the public beta installer 4 times (in safe mode, etc). i keep getting this message at the end of the download (everything else seems to be working fine)...

sierramessage.png

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
tried again this morning, same thing. i WAS able to update 10.11.6 to the latest public beta last night, so...??? anyone have any ideas?

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
I saw your post in the other thread in which I had encountered - but worked around - the problem.

I've been mulling it over too, wondering what other factors might be in play. I have different iCloud and iTunes store accounts (the iTunes account being what I started buying things with long before iCloud as a thing happened), but I had the same problem with downloads via both (registered both in the Beta programme). Then I thought Little Snitch - when you first open the installer it calls home before the damaged message comes up. I switched off LS and still no!

Have you done any other system tinkering on your current OS install that might somehow trigger an integrity test from the Sierra installer? I've done some minor things.

Maybe some corruption in your user account?

It's annoying me as a problem solving challenge despite working around it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i've definitely changed some things in the system folder; but surprised, then, that i can download all the 10.11 updates & betas. i've tried again, same error (love how large the image came out above :D ).

frustrating, and not sure where to get help...

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
i've definitely changed some things in the system folder; but surprised, then, that i can download all the 10.11 updates & betas. i've tried again, same error (love how large the image came out above :D ).

frustrating, and not sure where to get help...

I wonder if this is similar to the issue I had with installing Yosemite on my rImac...

I had to manually change the date in the preferences to get it installed. Otherwise, I got a similar message to the one that you are getting now

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
hmm. the date in which preferences? meanwhile (when i have time), will: back up. restore the OS from recovery. THEN try downloading the beta again. where did you change a date?

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
I changed it when I used a USB installer for Yosemite. Changed it in the preferences when booting from the USB. Let me know if it works-did you ever change the date/time on your mac?
I found it an odd workaround, but apparently sometimes this happens with OS installs-they don't like installing if they are out of a preferred date range. May not help you, but good luck!

Reactions: grahamperrin

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I changed it when I used a USB installer for Yosemite. Changed it in the preferences when booting from the USB. Let me know if it works-did you ever change the date/time on your mac?
I found it an odd workaround, but apparently sometimes this happens with OS installs-they don't like installing if they are out of a preferred date range. May not help you, but good luck!

i'll try rolling back the date, downloading again. IF it works, i'll report back (i'm skeptical, but that's my usual state of mind... :D ). thanx!

EDIT: not a fix. will def go to plan B (restore OS from recovery)...

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Have you run Disk Utility on all HFS Plus volumes – including what's on the USB flash drive – and do the file systems appear to be OK?

If you're unlucky, an apparently good file system (verified by Disk Utility) may include files that are corrupt, or free space that is prone to corruption.

Plus @siddhartha some USB flash drives are, out of the box, more reliable than others. And/or the possibility of a server in the content delivery network providing, for Apple, a file that is genuinely corrupt, and so on.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
not using a usb flash drive, and i DID run fsck. my theory (or more of a guess) is...something i 'messed around with' in the system (altho, again, beta updates for 10.11.5, and now 10.11.6 install fine). will, again, restore the OS from recovery, then try again (just need a day to do that)... thanx all!

Reactions: grahamperrin

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
so....backed up my mac, restored 10.11.6 from recovery mode... and all is well, am now running 10.12pb2. something (probably something i did :rolleyes: ) with my 10.11.6 OS (altho i was able to update that to the latest beta).

good to be here now, living in the future....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.