Damaged ipad aluminum back

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trssho, Nov 1, 2010.

1. trssho macrumors 6502

Last week, I was using my iPad and noticed that the bottom right corner was elevated maybe 1.5mm above the screen. No big deal, I had an iPod touch that had a similar problem.

After further examination, I realized the back of the iPad is bowed. If I sight down the long sides, it is painfully obvious. While traveling a couple months ago, I had stuffed my iPad into my camera bag. It was snug, but not to the point I would have thought it would damage it. Being OCD, this is consuming me every time I use the thing.

Of course no one "knows", but do you think a genius might help me out at the Apple store? It's a bit of a drive to Orlando, but well worth it if I can get some help from Apple.

Also, will they sell a replacement back? How much do they charge if not covered under warranty, to replace it?

Andy

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think they will replace it. In my opinion, just live with it. Unless you have OCD that is diagnosed by a creditable doctor, you have nothing to worry about.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It will be hit and miss and depend on the mood at the genius bar and who you get.

Last time i got an out of warranty replacement on a cable because I pointed the genius to the tourist that had been standing wanting to buy $500 worth of overpriced speaker accessories for over 15 minutes. He rang him up, I took credit for saving the sale, and he replaced my daughters dock cable.

I've spent enough time at the FL Mall genius bar to know when I'm going to get a no questions asked replacement..... Or when it is going to be a battle (and I've had two Customer Relations cases over the experiences even. Joy.)

But its worth a shot if you have something else to do in town....

4. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I am OCD like you about my stuff. I have had great success in the past when things have happened like this at the Apple Store. I would just be up front and let them know how OCD you are about your iPad and everything else. Best of Luck.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don' t understand what u mean by help. Genius will help u for sure and they will go as far as replacing it. However, they will charge u fees because it is damaged.

6. trssho thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but my point is that "I" feel that having the ipad in my backpack should NOT have bent it like it did. If my laptop had been in there, it would not have done that.

Live and learn I will.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Nobody on this board is as reckless with their iPad as my wife who has had hers from day one and has dropped, flung, sat, etc. on her iPad without leaving a mark so I'd be surprised that you incurred damage with normal care.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

is it something like this?
    [​IMG]

9. trssho thread starter macrumors 6502

Very similiar

10. trssho thread starter macrumors 6502

My iPad lives in a Targuss Truss, which is a very "plush" case for the purpose of protecting it. My kids always want to take it out of the case to play with it, and I refuse that request. On my trip, it was caseless, and in my backpack/ camera bag. Didn't drop it, but I assume the pressure of me wearing the backpack, stretched the aluminum.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That was my iPad back in July, I had a post that went on for several pages, but now I can't seem to find it (I can't seem to find any post earlier than August on this forum). I woke up one morning, used my iPad to check some emails and stuff, then I placed my iPad on my night stand wile I went to go have breakfast, when I returned to use it about an hour later, the screen was dead and my iPad was in that condition (I was also home alone). The Genius employee told me that it was obvious that I caused the damaged.

Long story short, Apple would not replace my iPad and I ended up calling my MasterCard to use my Extended Warranty (I purchased my iPad with my MasterCard, but American Express has a similar Extended Warranty Service)

The whole process took about 3 1/2 weeks, MC mailed me a check for $300 to cover the repair fee from Apple.

[​IMG]