Damaged iPod touch. Should I buy an iPhone? Please post opinions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hot Snowboarder, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I'm very attached to my touch. Use it frequently and for running its sweet with my nike+ gear.
    I managed to spill the contents of one of those galileo thermometers all over it. It's not water apparently... some sort of alkanol/al i think... smelled like turpentine. Anyway long-story-short its now got a 'burnt' corner of the screen. (see attached picture. red arrow points to damaged screen area).

I was going to replace my phone in the next few months anyway. So i'm wondering if I should buy an iPhone 3G now to replace it and the touch. I don't mind waiting till like June for a sweet new iPhone... but i'm not keen on waiting till september for only a minor revision.

Please let me know what you think.

btw. Here in AUS an iPhone is $799 or $899 outright. 8GB and 16GB respectively.

Attached Files:

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'd say wait and buy the iPhone. Like what their initial commercial said, it's an iPod + Phone = iPhone :D You won't regret it, my iPod shuffle is now being kept comfy because I just the iPhone to listen primarily to music, while in need of gaming I can still whip it out and play, then of course the normal surfing on Safari - oh I forgot the phone feature ;)

3. Hot Snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

So you reckon I should wait for the next revision to buy?

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If you can wait till June(ish) or July(ish) yes. If you can't, just go get an iPhone right away.

5. efice32 macrumors 6502

It should be noted that the iPhone doesn't currently support the nike+ stuff without plugging an adapter thing in to the bottom of it. It doesn't have the built-in support the iPod Touch does.

6. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Does the screen still touch (work) in that area of the screen?

If not, can you drop by and apple store to see how much a screen replacement would cost?
    :(

7. Hot Snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, I'd take a photo with the screen on to show you but I wanna let it dry for another day to save doing further damage.
    The whole screen works except for that burnt black puddle. It looks almost like a thumb print. Its still touch sensitive over the dead bit, just no backlight or colour.
    I'm gonna have to exercise a lot of self control not to go and buy the iPhone right now on an impulse. :p

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The 3G doesn't support Nike+ so if that's really a necessity, then just wait for the new iPhone... it MAY have it. Never know.