Damaged LCD thermal sensor - help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fruitpunch.ben, Dec 30, 2011.

1. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

I can't imagine I'm the only person to have done this, but I cannot find a solution anywhere else. In removing the LCD from my late 2009 27" iMac in order to replace the ODD I damaged the LCD thermal sensor (one of the pins broke off). So shorting it out didn't work since there is now only one pin.
    So now when I turn on my iMac, all the fans run on full.
    Is there a way using software to set the maximum speed for all the fans?
    I have found a terminal command using smc fan control to set the maximum speed for the hard disk fan. That has worked well, but in the whole internet I cannot find a similar command for the optical and CPU fans.
    The terminal command is this:
    Code:
    /Applications/Utilities/smcFanControl.app/Contents/Resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 2af8
    I know nothing about terminal commands, but apparently either the -k or the F1Mx (or both) designate the HDD fan. Does anyone know the appropriate commands for the ODD and CPU fans?
    Now my iMac is close to unusable from the fan noise.
    Thanks

Ben

2. fruitpunch.ben thread starter macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

bump.
    Really? Does no one have a solution to my problem? I'm pretty sure others have done the same thing as me. I really don't want to have to pay $1000 to replace my logic board.
    Thanks for answering, if you do.

Ben

3. monkeymann macrumors newbie

i have the exact same issue, see yesterdays post

you've got further than me in slowing the speed of one fan, good work.. i do a lot of work on my windows partition and was thinking maybe there's an easier way to slow them from there..

for now, earmuffs!