damaged LVDS video cable fix or leave it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aybo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. aybo macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro circa mid 2009. Accidentally I pushed it off my bed in the night and it landed upside down open. This has resulted in some areas/ colourways of the display showing as pastel. Upon flexing the laptop wide open a normal display appears. which leads me to believe there is some damage/loose connection to the LVDS video cable. which may be damaged along the hinge due to the stress of falling or maybe dislodged elsewhere etc.

I'm wondering if it is safe and not detrimental to the computer to leave it as it is for now? ie that it keeps disconnecting reconnecting within the wiring when opening/closing. i dont know anything about electronics so any advice would be helpful.

I've had a look at a few guides online to replace the cable, I dont want to do this unless it is absolutely necessary as being rather casually accident prone with my mac i have two dents to the aluminium case at the top corners, one curled over. Which i imagine would make it near impossible to remove the glass and may require me buying a new screen and top case something I dont have the funds for at present. I understand that the connection fault may not be in the display area but still have a couple of weeks before I can have my friend look at it so either way would like to be able to use it in the meantime.

thanks.

2. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

It may be worth opening it up and just checking the connection to the logic board. That may have loosened up and need to be reseated.

As for removing the glass...that's a pretty difficult repair. That glass shatters fairly easily when flexed and applying the heat carries the possibility of: damaging the LCD, melting the rubber gasket, melting camera cabling. **If done incorrectly**

I'd say first check the connection on the board and if isn't the cause then consider either: A) finding a local shop that may be able to do them, or B) saving up to replace the whole top case.