Damaged MacBook air screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by camperdown9, Aug 18, 2011.

1. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Hi

My dog pawed the screen on my MacBook Air and the screen is damaged. Does anyone know how much it will cost to have the screen replaced at a Apple Store in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Alex

2. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Apple will charge around $600 for it
    however third party repair shops may do it for less around $400
    but you never know might get lucky at apple store and they do it for free
    is this the new MBA? and did you buy it with a credit card, if so your CC company may cover the reapir under the accidental damage clause

3. KPOM macrumors G5

For future reference, a lot of insurers also offer personal articles policies that cover accidental damage provided that it is only used for personal (not business) use. I looked into one, and it's about $40/year.

Anyway, to the OP, I'd suggest getting an estimate from an Apple Store, and also a third party outlet. I'd guess that the 2nd poster's prices would be applicable, just with a £ sign instead of a $ (maybe a little less). That way you can see if it's worth it. Which model is it? If it's a 2010, it's probably worth fixing. If it's a 2009 or earlier model, you may be better off just replacing it.

4. camperdown9 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the reply.

Its a 2010 MAcBook air. I'm a bit shocked at the cost to replace the screen, if $600/£600 then I might just wait and buy a new one.

Alex

5. wiregen macrumors member

I had my macbook pro 15" screen replaced for $320 out of warranty when the apple store quoted me. It was a cracked screen with the LCD being damaged. I wonder if the other 300 is maybe for a new outer housing?

6. Nioxic macrumors regular

Not to be an ass..

but could you snap a picture of it and post it

Would like to see how much dmg a dogpaw can do to such a "weak" monitor (aka how much can my monitor withstand)

7. camperdown9 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi

I have tried to upload a photo but for some reason I don't seem to be able to. The impact mark is about 2mm its just one impact but there are lines from it, a bit like a stone hitting glass. This happened a few weeks ago and in the last few days clouding has started to appear a bit further down the screen.

The MacBook was on the coffee table and the dog was on the sofa. I went to sit on the sofa and the dog being playful extended a front paw and just once hit the screen. He's a Lurcher-Irish Wolfhound X so a bit larger than a Labrador

Alex

8. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

The actual monitor itself is ~$400 so $600 is about $200 in service fees.

9. rkheyfets macrumors regular

your best is to bring it to the apple store see what they say what price they quote you and go from there

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Not sure what I'd do if that happened to me, but for $600 is pushing half of a new one. That's brutal.

11. rkheyfets macrumors regular

Yea if its that high to repair which from apple unfortunately it will be you might be better off selling it on ebay and buying a new one

12. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Worth worth trying to do yourself - screen should be 200 USD parts only on ebay...