Damaged macbook pro, how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimr0d, Aug 13, 2007.

1. nimr0d macrumors member

First generation, 1.87ghz. Everything is stock. Long story short someone spilled their drink into my laptop. It doesnt power on, and apple wants $1,600 to fix it. Obviously its just smarter to buya new one. I plan on paying the difference between the repair price and the price of the new laptop($400) while having the person who spilled it pay the $1,600. But i want to offset the cost by selling my damaged laptop and the free ipod nano that comeswith it.

So how much do you think i could get for it? I know one of the more expensive parts of a laptop is the screen, and thats in perfect condition. I dunno what any of the insides look like, and dont really plan on opening it, apple didnt tell me what was damaged cause they just said they charge a flat fee for situations like this.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's funny that apple wants $1600 to fix it; they sell it for $1299 (+tax) on their refurbished store. i don't know how much your broken laptop is worth, but i'm guessing it would be less than $500.

3. nimr0d thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking around $300, soo any more than that would be fine

4. jellz macrumors regular

bleh. why cant your friend just buy you a refurb one for 1299 like the previous poster mentioned? making him pay $1,600 seems a little...unfair.

5. nimr0d thread starter macrumors member

can anyone link me to the 15" refurb, on the refurb site it seesm they have everything except the 15" macbook pro

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

apple sells their refurbished stock fairly quickly. your best bet is to check the late hours of the night or early morning, like 2 am pdt.

7. nimr0d thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks, does it get updated almost daily?

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

almost. not during the weekend, however.