Damaged Macbook Pro RAM slot fixable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by infiniteengine, Apr 3, 2009.

1. infiniteengine macrumors newbie

I made a thread a few days back about some really weird issues I've been having with my mac (lagging at grey screen on boot) and I think I may have identified at least part of the problem.

It all started when I tried to add a second 1GB DIMM into my Macbook Pro 1,2 in the previously empty top ram slot. The slot did not work then and still does not work now. When I looked really closely I noticed there appears to be something tiny inside the ram slot at the very back and i could not get it out with compressed air. Additionally the gold wire below this is sunken in lower than the rest. Is this something that could likely be easily repaired? I'm making an appointment at the genius bar on Sunday and hope they'll be able to figure it out, but wouldn't mind any input before then to give me hope! Thanks!

2. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Unfortunately, no, it's not an easy repair as you have to swap out the whole motherboard. Repair on your own will be difficult as those are tiny leads and prone to breaking off.

Good luck with the geniuses, but remember that anything they do for you under AppleCare is being generous as it's user damage.