Damaged MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iRach, Feb 14, 2010.

1. iRach macrumors member

iRach

A work colleague has dropped her Macbook, it's a new unibody one like mine. The lid has a dent on the edge and the lid just won't sit flush when it's closed anymore.

Can she have the lid/screen bit replaced, and if so could she take it to the G bar or would it need to go back to apple.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Actually Im pretty sure the cost'll be more like $300 - $500 rather than over $500. Im pretty sure shell have no choice but to send it back to Apple, or an independent Apple Authorised Service/Repair Centre (they can be cheaper - they tend to charge less for labour than Apple does).

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Part alone is $400-$500 from iFixIt. I doubt Apple charge significantly less for the parts and there labour to add on top...

5. iRach thread starter macrumors member

iRach

Thanks guys, I guess she'll have to hunt around for an authorised repair place in the UK

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

A little den't isn't worth a $500 fix. I bet she could sell it and buy a new one and the difference would be under 500. I'm not necessarily recommending this, I'm just trying to point out how ridiculous it would be to fix it.

7. iRach thread starter macrumors member

iRach