Damaged MBP power adapter - take into Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yatz, Apr 6, 2009.

1. yatz macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have had my UMBP since they were released in Oct 2008. I use it everyday at university. I only just noticed this yesterday on the power adapter. Do you think if I take it to the Apple Store they will replace it? Its kind of a safety issue. Its my first Mac and I am so careful the way I handle everything.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I believe that Apple's current policy is to replace MagSafe adapters with issues like yours, free-of-charge. Make a Genius Bar appointment at an Apple Store.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The earlier ones had that issue regularly. They have since reinforced the cable where it attaches to the brick, and made that cable thicker in general. It can still happen, but should be covered by Apple as a defect as opposed to not being covered through abuse; if you are still in warranty.

If you had the old version of the brick, you'll notice the slight difference.

Make sure you also do NOT give them your duck head, or the extension cable (either peice that connects the brick to the outlet), as the brick is replaced separately. Basically, if you or they forget, and you hand them your adapter with the duck head on it, you won't get one back.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I had something similar. My in-store genius said that it was caused by "user abuse" and they would not replace it.

I went home and called AppleCare and they sent me a new one and I mailed the old one back. No charge.

Whenever Apple refuses to replace something for me in-store, phone support usually gives me no problems.

Good luck.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

With all the power in the world, a Genius can't replace their own stupidity. While not as awful as the PowerBook chargers, the MagSafe had its problems in the beginning and was covered as such. More than likely, that "Genius", just didn't know, and fell back on the standard policy.

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

You have nothing to lose by bringing the adapter into an Apple store. Give it a shot. Hopefully, you get it replaced on the spot. Good luck to you. ;)

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, take it back. Hopefully you'll be walking out the door with a new magsafe adapter and power cord....

8. yatz thread starter macrumors newbie

All Sorted!

I went into the Apple Store today, quick swap over and its all sorted !!

I do have to say the service I received was excellent, makes you glad to be a Mac user.

Cheers everyone for you suggestions

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good to hear OP. Congrats and enjoy...:cool:

10. suttondesign macrumors newbie

Contact me if the Apple Store didn't help you with this

I'm trying to get the MagSafe adapters recalled and get those who were told at the store they had to buy a new one some relief. If this happened to you, can you please contact me? psutton@suttonkleinman.com.

11. nogoodnames macrumors newbie

No customer service at apple store

I too have this problem with my power supply, took it to Apple store in regents st. yesterday and was told I had to see a genius, but in the senior cashier's opinion, it wouldn't be covered by warranty, as it looked like I had pulled the cable out through misuse. I mentioned all the threads that were on here and apple's forums about the same problem. Still was told a genius had to see it, despite the fact that it's virtually impossible to book an appointment because they're so busy?!

In the end I just went on www.saynoto0870.com got a freephone number for apple and the guy didn't even question it, told me he would get a new one sent out free of charge and I had to post the old one back. Simple, except I have to wait a couple of days for it to arrive now.

Why can't apple circulate information to stores about these problems so that when someone comes in, you don't need to see a genius just to change something that is clearly broken through a design defect! As I said to the cashier, you don't expect to pay almost two grand for a laptop, to have something fall apart after 4 months, and then get rubbish customer service.

Anyway, moral of the story is call applecare straight away and avoid the hassle of visiting a store to be let down!

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would sympathize with you, except you waltzed into one of the busiest stores in (the world) Europe without an appointment. Booking an appointment is quite simple online, and if you had done that there would have been virtually no hassle. It's fairly common knowledge that Geniuses cater to appointments first, walk-ins a very distant second.