damaged my iphone 4 while trying to repair it

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chrisg17, May 19, 2011.

1. chrisg17 macrumors newbie

So i had been having problems with my iphone home button for a few months now; it was unresponsive likely because of contaminants and became less and less responsive as time progressed.

I watched this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZOZp37ONKg and decided to try to apply the same fix to my phone

So i took apart my phone with this guide http://www.zdnet.com/photos/cracking-open-the-apple-iphone-4/440148

i did not completely remove the speaker/lower antenna assembly (see guide if you dont know what im talking about) but merely lifted it up, cleaned out the area by the home button with a polishing cloth, and raised what i believed to be the home button contacts for my phone

When i put everything back together and turned on the phone, not only did the home button not work, but the speakers and the microphone didnt work :( so i think i screwed something up with the speaker assembly...

Any help with this would be amazing because im kind of panicking right now...should i take it apart again?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Looks like you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and reassembling it again.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you tried to restore to see if those issues are software and not hardware related?

4. chrisg17 thread starter macrumors newbie

that might be something to try but my first priority right now is fixing my speakers and microphone...the phone is obviously completely unusable without the mic

5. chrisg17 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just tried this and luckily it worked :)

i dont think that the contacts i was messing with were the home button contacts, i think they were for the whole speaker/microphone assembly...i am too scared now to try to take it apart to fix the home button though unless i could somehow take off the screen of the phone rather than the back