Damaged my power cord... covered by warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevo86, Nov 30, 2007.

1. stevo86 macrumors member

So i already damaged the cord on my charger for by 3 week old macbook... some of the rubber coating go scraped away by getting caught up under my desk. I'm guessing there's no way this is covered under the warranty to be replaced for free, so does anyone know where to go to buy a new one? I've been looking on the site but can't find it.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is no way it's covered, accidental damage isn't covered under many polices. Did you pull it hard or are they really that flimsy?
    +1

3. D4F Guest

D4F

When you drive your car straight into a wall and you damage it... Does it get fixed??

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

:confused:

That is why they are asking where to buy a new one.

5. mpw Guest

Mine did, cost me nearly £2,500.

What's your point? That he should claim on his home insurance?

6. BuckWright macrumors member

AppleCare Covered Mine

The cord running from the brick to my computer got crimped and frayed. I called Apple and explained my situation, as I have done nothing outside of reasonable, everyday use (putting the cord in and out of my computer bag). They are currently sending me a new cord right now via DHL with delivery expected any minute now.

It is covered under AppleCare (computer is 1 1/2 years old) and I am not being charged for the replacement cord.

Personally, as I explained to the Apple rep., I feel there is a design flaw with the cord. It should not be that thin or the rubber should be a little tougher. A reasonable consumer does not expect to have to baby a power cord.

7. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's a poor design feature, just got caught on a sharp edge of my metal desk. And thanks for the link to the store.

8. BuckWright macrumors member

For the sake of discussion...

Shouldn't Apple anticipate that cords will get caught under things and design accordingly? Would the thicker extension part of the adapter been damaged under the same conditions?

9. mpw Guest

And where does that argument end? The OP is man enough to take some responsibility for his own actions, which is ***king rare and I commend him for that, it's a shame more people don't.

10. BuckWright macrumors member

To borrow the car analogy...

Should auto manufacturers remove air bags and seat belts from cars because people should be more careful and take some responsibility for their own driving? Obviously no.

Perfect world has better design with user responsibility.

Maybe I'm a bit sore b/c of my own experience, but I did nothing that reasonably should have resulted in frayed wiring. Look around the web and you'll find a number of people who believe their cord should have been more durable.

The fact that Apple has sent me a new one, free of charge, indicates, at least on some level, that they are aware of their culpability in the matter.