Damaged pixel "cloud"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fyod, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Fyod, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014

Fyod macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I bought a second hand MB Pro with retina two weeks ago. Today I noticed a pink and blue pixel cloud that is noticeable at the bottom middle of the screen with a slight strip going up the middle.
    The laptop was sold 8/2013 and is still under warranty. There is no damage at all to the outer casing, nor are there any scratches on the screen. It is in wonderful condition and I didn't notice this until today.
    You can only see the "cloud" on dark grey or dark blue backgrounds, not on black, nor other colors. It looks like colorful sand.

[​IMG]

You can click for a larger image.

What is the recommended way to get this fixed? Am I eligible for warranty even as the second owner?

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Talk to Apple and explain the situation. As far as I know Apple Care is transferable, meaning if i bought it for my computer and then i sold it, I can tell apple who the new owner is. Give it a shot so apple can fix the display!

3. Fyod thread starter macrumors newbie

The previous owner (original buyer) was very reputable, gave me the original bill of sale, so I think if I sent it back to him, he'd be willing to take it in to the store (3rd party official reseller).
    Has this imperfection ever come up on the forums? I have searched all over and can only find the usual dead pixel problems.

4. Fyod thread starter macrumors newbie

The shape of the "spilled sand" got me wondering if this is possibly due to the fans blowing up hot air and eventually getting cooler, thus not effecting the upper portion of the display.
    Is this possible?
    Btw. found out it is an LG display.

5. Fyod thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just got back from a trip and my rMBP was left in the car for two hours in 6°C and after starting up, the pixel sand is barely visible.
    So I guess my assumption about fan heat was correct.