Damaged resource forks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wie Gehts, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hi

sometimes when I run diskwarrior, I may get some files with damaged resource forks and cannot be repaired. Its not clear from DW that this means anything. So, is this a bad thing or is this really nothing to worry about?

I downloaded some updates for a suite of apps I own and saved them onto another storage drive. A number of them showed up with damaged resource forks. But the scan of my system drive is clean. So what can cause this? Just copying them to another drive? Or are they already damaged right from the company? I don't know.

thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Probably more information that you want: Resource Forks

The bottom line is, I don't think it is a real issue

One place I looked recommended BubblePop as a possible solution for repairing damaged resource forks.
    You can read up on it and see if it is something you are interested it.

My suggestion?
    If it isn't causing you problems, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks..

looking over that document and as best that i can understand it, resource forks has more to do with accessing a files attributes...i think.

i've read some stuff where persons couldn't open their pictures because of a damage resource fork, for example.

what i was concerned about is whether this has anything to do with actual damage to a file in and of itself.

DW will say in their descriptions about any file errors it finds is that it may cause system instability. i guess this may be true for anything involving the os, but not some other type of file.