Damaged Screen, Please Help :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bloodsport, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Bloodsport macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'd really appreciate some help as I'm in a spot of difficulty.

This morning I shut the lid of my Macbook Pro in a rush not realising the end of my charger was on the body of the laptop. The force ended up damaging the screen. Pics below.

Anyway, can someone please give me a guesstimate as to how much a repair will cost, and if there is a cheaper option for repair in London? I know people will say 'just take it to apple', but I've just moved out and barely have enough money to eat let alone fix this machine. I fear I'll either have to sell the machine for parts or, if it won't damage it further, use it as it is for a few months. It's a 15" Retina Display:

Again, a guesstimate of the price would be most helpful so I can try and budget for this in the coming months (currently using a very old Dell I have).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers man :(

I'd guestimate that the display panel is probably upward of 1,000 bucks, no idea what sort of labor cost it would. Maybe 300 to 500, so you're looking at a potential cost of 1,500.

3. yateseyd1991 macrumors regular

A genuine replacement LCD assembly is about £280, so expect to pay around £350 for the repair

4. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

It'll cost you dearly because Apple won't replace anything but the whole display assembly (frame, glass, panel and various bits of electronics) and those things costs a fortune (specially on a "retina" machine).

For your sake I hope you've got insurance that covers accidents like that...

5. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Are we saying about £350 then as a guesstimate? Anything over that will be out of the question. How much do you think it would go for on e-Bay? SSD, 8GB RAM and 2.7GHz. I genuinely don't have the money to replace it right now and it was a replacement machine from Apple for a 3 year old Mac thats Logic Board went haywire so I genuinely can't afford to pay out of my own pocket now. :(

6. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn just got quoted £575 and then VAT added :(. Going to have to look at selling.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would definitely sell for parts unless the repair was about $600. Can you use an external display in the meantime?

8. Bloodsport, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

There's a few damaged MacBooks like mine up for a few hundred on eBay. That figure would be ideal if I could get that. For now I've hooked it up to my TV with the brightness all the way down, don't guess I'll damage it anymore.

I'll try and get a few more quotes but I simply don't have that money to spend on a repair right now, and my old Dell will do me for now.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah, a few hundred obviously won't cover the cost of a new or refurb model but if it were me, I would see what the repair cost was and add that to what I could get for it by selling for parts and if the total cost is still less than a refurb, I would repair.

10. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I'd say keep it, and use it as a desktop replacement. It is still a rather powerful machine. In time you may find a cheaper repair option or simply be able to afford the repair.

A mac mini specced as high as your laptop costs upwards of $1000, it's no slouch.

11. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

If you don't use it extensively remotely, just throw an external display on there and BAM good as new.

We had several macbooks with display issues at my previous job, we just transformed them into desktop units, by hooking them up to a monitor. :)

12. yateseyd1991 macrumors regular

It's not a difficult repair, any decent computer repairs shop will be able to fit it easily. The £280 is going by eBay prices from well known suppliers

13. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've got a long HDMI cable and currently using the machine off of my 37" LCD in my room. Just a question, I guess because the screen is damaged but not cracked, there's no risk of poison or something from gasses or fumes from the LCD on my Laptop? Secondly, I'm using it with brightness all the way down, there's no chance of further damage being caused to the machine due to me using it?

Many thanks.

14. HBP macrumors member

No poison/fumes.

Wouldn't worry about further damage since it'll mostly likely need a full replacement. But with the brightness down, can't see you damaging it further.

15. Crugga macrumors regular

Do you have home contents insurance?
    This is exactly the type of thing its there for.
    Ive spilt drinks on a laptop and put an iphone in the washing machine and on both occasions they have paid for replacements.

16. Bloodsport thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers. It's a perfectly usable machine so if I can keep using it without the chance of damaging it further by using it then it buys me some time to figure out how to fix it.

Things over a certain value require additional cost.

17. Ian.C, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

Ian.C macrumors regular

18. Crugga macrumors regular

Depends who with I imagine, I never declared the Macbook pro I killed and got £1500 credit on this little private site or £1350 cash which I opted for and bought used.
    Surely worth enquiring.