Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McCloud94

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Hi guys,

attaching a few screenshots... couple of months ago I noticed a small area of these patches on my screen.. I always thought it's dirt/grease or whatever... but as I now cleaned my screen, it seems like the top layer of the screen is peeling off. And it's getting worse as I 'clean' it.

I always use just a soft towel and a bit of water, usually just my breath to clean the screen.

Has anyone seen this before?
Anything I can do about it?

I doubt replacing the whole screen would make sense.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8446.JPG
    IMG_8446.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 87

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Staingate was very common with the 2012-2015 MacBook Pro's, but I've never seen that on the newer models. Contact Apple and see what they tell you.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
The anti reflective optical coating is failing, which is commonly called staingate. There is no way to repair it, but Apple may replace the screen under warranty so it is definitely worth reaching out. If they do not and you do not wish to buy an entirely new screen, one DIY option is complete removal of the coating where you can use a product(s) that is capable of removing the optical coating without damaging the glass or the rest of the computer.

McCloud94

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
got it, thanks!
The notebook is unfortunately more than 2 years old, so I don't think there's any warranty.

For some reason I also wasn't able to reach Apple support, maybe they have limited capacity due to Covid?

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
It does happen on newer models as well although I haven't seen it as bad. Usually there are keyboard/trackpad marks left on the screen. They cover "screen coating issues" for up to 4 years from your date of purchase I believe.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

I recently had the screen on my 2017 15" MBP replaced by Apple because of keyboard/trackpad marks left on the screen. It wasn't that noticeable when you were using the MBP, but since I was taking it in for a keyboard issue anyway, I figured I'd mention the coating issue as well. Both the topcase (keyboard) and display were replaced on my MBP. My MBP is over 3 years old so it is out of warranty as well.

Reactions: McCloud94

McCloud94

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
It does happen on newer models as well although I haven't seen it as bad. Usually there are keyboard/trackpad marks left on the screen. They cover "screen coating issues" for up to 4 years from your date of purchase I believe.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

I recently had the screen on my 2017 15" MBP replaced by Apple because of keyboard/trackpad marks left on the screen. It wasn't that noticeable when you were using the MBP, but since I was taking it in for a keyboard issue anyway, I figured I'd mention the coating issue as well. Both the topcase (keyboard) and display were replaced on my MBP. My MBP is over 3 years old so it is out of warranty as well.
sweet, thanks for sharing.
That would be awesome indeed.

I also have a feeling Apple service is much better in the US. But I'll try here in Europe and see.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Does this happen on newer models? What about the keyboard footprints? Am i safe to clean them from time to time? i have the 16"

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Does this happen on newer models? What about the keyboard footprints? Am i safe to clean them from time to time? i have the 16"
Just don't get carried away with having a clean screen. This can be caused by cleaning the screen too much even with a very clean and soft cloth.

Reactions: GumaRodak

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You've got.... "StainGate".
If you don't know what that means, you'd better start "reading up" on it.

The MBP retina models have a VERY thin "sprayed on" anti-glare coating.

Almost any kind of "contact" with that coating starts wearing it away, and the result is... what you're seeing right now.

One of the WORST things you can do with the retina displays is to "clean them regularly", because "cleaning" is going to wear off the coating.

The best practice is to "not get them dirty" in the first place -- be VERY careful about not touching the display surface when opening/closing the lid, etc.

If anything settles on the surface, just "dust it away" (no "pressure") with a soft cloth.

Something that won't dust away -- use a moistened cloth, with AS LITTLE PRESSURE as possible to dislodge it. Then... dust dry.

BE AWARE:
Apple has (or had) a free replacement program for MBP's affected by StainGate. I believe it covers units from up to 4 years past the original purchase date.
You will need to make an appointment with the genius bar at an Apple Store if you have one nearby.

If you DO NOT have an Apple Store nearby, you might call Apple directly.
DO NOT call a "3rd-party service provider" -- CALL APPLE.
Be prepared to send them pics like you posted above.
They may send you a prepaid shipping carton to return it to them for repair.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.