Damaged the clip for the left fan on the logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by androidarmy, Feb 8, 2012.

1. androidarmy macrumors newbie

androidarmy

Hi,
    I recently reflowed my dead logic board and to my amazement, it fired right up.
    However, when I was removing it, I inadvertently damaged the "socket" on the logic board which the left fan plugs into.
    For what it's worth, that socket is history.
    The computer operates normally, but the left fan just doesn't work.
    Is there some jerry-rig way I can get this fan working?
    Perhaps by running the wires to the right side and splicing into the right fan?
    I'm open to suggestion.
    I can still use the computer with a cooling pad and monitor the temperature, but it would be great to get this fan working. I know people ADD cooling fans to their computers—how do they get power to them?
    Thanks,
    Androidarmy

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have had this happen to me, where I was disassembling my first unibody Mac and accidentally tore the entire socket (rather than just the plug) off the logic board.

You can either

a) buy a new/used logic board.

b) use a soldering iron (very fine) to solder the connectors back onto the logic board.

I used the second method, because I didn't feel like spending $500 for a new logic board. Be warned, messing up with the soldering iron can lead to a trashed logic board! Try taking it to an electronics store and see if they can repair it for you.

Also, one of the fans (I can't remember which) is used to pull air into the vent system and the other is used to push it out. It's not like it'll stop cooling instantly, but it will make a significant impact on the efficiency of heat dissipation.

3. androidarmy thread starter macrumors newbie

androidarmy

Thanks,

Tried the soldering to no avail.

I was hoping someone could offer me another option—other than the obvious!

Thanks, though.