Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RR94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
So I ordered a white AW sport because my SG was taking ages. I received it on 9th May and have been very happy with it. A couple days ago I woke up, put the watch on and noticed this scratch at the top!

I have no recollection of bumping into anything or scraping it at all. I am guessing Apple will charge me for this so I'm not going to make an appointment with them, just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same? I am VERY careful with all my gadgets and have no scratches or cracks in any of my 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 864

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
That sucks. With something like a watch it's so hard to back track. Can you notice it when the screen is on?

RR94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
No it's not visible at all when the screen is on, it annoys the heck out of me when I see it though! #

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
More than likely the Oleophobic coating. I think you can use alcohol to remove it, should take the scratch with it. UNLESS you can feel it with your finger nail.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
So I ordered a white AW sport because my SG was taking ages. I received it on 9th May and have been very happy with it. A couple days ago I woke up, put the watch on and noticed this scratch at the top!

I have no recollection of bumping into anything or scraping it at all. I am guessing Apple will charge me for this so I'm not going to make an appointment with them, just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same? I am VERY careful with all my gadgets and have no scratches or cracks in any of my 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and MacBook Pro.

Well you've never strapped the macbook pro to your wrists for 3 weeks either. It's inevitable basically. IonX glass can be scratched by many things. and eventually just having some dirt on your fingers when swiping will cause scratching.

Best bet is to get apple care now, and then get it swapped out for 70$ if it gets too bad for your tastes.

I keep my iphones and macbook pros/ ipads immaculate also. But I know this happens to my stainless/titanium etc watchs also, so I expected it to start scuffing/scratching eventually. Just by random chance.

RR94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
So i contacted apple about the problem, figuring that i may as well see what they say. The first guy wasn't much help, just told me to take it into an apple store and they will look at it. I wasn't happy so i phoned again and my watch is now being sent in for a free replacement. :)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Be careful.... there was another poster who was told to send their watch in for a FoC replacement due to screen damage, and was then requested to fork out for a replacement when Apple checked it out. Finally got the FoC replacement honoured, but be careful!

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I had a scratch about half the length of yours, almost same exact position and placing, within 3 days. I take great care of my apple products as I do everything I pay money for. The apple watch though, is attached to your arm which is always moving and is now an inch or so thicker. You graze things without even noticing. I also have a hairline scratch in the aluminum that is from the same mysterious moment. I bought a invisheild (think that is what it was called) screen protector and I can't see it. I have noticed that the screen film has all sorts of dings and scratches throughout the day but the reform overtime. I have caught a LOT of white paint from the cheap walls that I haven't repainted in the house yet, which takes some soap and water and some scrubbing to get off (just on the protector though).

I hate screen protectors and keep telling myself to take it off and then I see another gash in the film and convince myself to leave it on.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So i contacted apple about the problem, figuring that i may as well see what they say. The first guy wasn't much help, just told me to take it into an apple store and they will look at it. I wasn't happy so i phoned again and my watch is now being sent in for a free replacement. :)

This is why so many times on here when people have a question like this, my first question always is "Did you take it to an Apple Store?" Seriously if you buy an Apple Product and there's a problem with it that is on the level "I scratched" or "I broke," take it in. They told me in about 10 minutes on my iMac I had a bad hard drive after running a few tests beyond what I had done. No charge, I take it home and put back in the original. One time I had an optical drive that didn't seem to work. It was just out of warranty, but they replaced it for free and also replaced the LCD display because of a recall I knew nothing about. They fixed my cracked-as-hell iPhone 6 display for $109 in about 90 minutes a couple of weeks ago. THAT will not be free, but it was quick and they obviously stand behind their work.

So seriously good luck getting it fixed or replace without much of a hit. So often they will replace stuff for you even when you think they shouldn't. You just have to ask. On a side note, this is why I went with the Watch model instead of Sport. I'm a geology student and know that sapphire is more scratch-resistant than any type of glass you use. I've whacked mine on my seat belt buckle a few times getting out of my car, and so far it looks pristine. Glass is less susceptible to cracking on an impact, but sapphire is very, very scratch-resistant.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Diamond jewelry could scratch it. Rings, cuff links, bracelets, earrings, diamond-encrusted watch bezels :), etc.

It doesn't even have to be yours. Just someone you bump into or are quite close with.

RR94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
This is why so many times on here when people have a question like this, my first question always is "Did you take it to an Apple Store?" Seriously if you buy an Apple Product and there's a problem with it that is on the level "I scratched" or "I broke," take it in. They told me in about 10 minutes on my iMac I had a bad hard drive after running a few tests beyond what I had done. No charge, I take it home and put back in the original. One time I had an optical drive that didn't seem to work. It was just out of warranty, but they replaced it for free and also replaced the LCD display because of a recall I knew nothing about. They fixed my cracked-as-hell iPhone 6 display for $109 in about 90 minutes a couple of weeks ago. THAT will not be free, but it was quick and they obviously stand behind their work.

So seriously good luck getting it fixed or replace without much of a hit. So often they will replace stuff for you even when you think they shouldn't. You just have to ask. On a side note, this is why I went with the Watch model instead of Sport. I'm a geology student and know that sapphire is more scratch-resistant than any type of glass you use. I've whacked mine on my seat belt buckle a few times getting out of my car, and so far it looks pristine. Glass is less susceptible to cracking on an impact, but sapphire is very, very scratch-resistant.

It isn't just that Apple will replace it though. It matters who you talk to from Apple. The first phone call i had the person just said that it would be £185 and to take it into the store if i want to take it further.
I purchased the sport because i don't like the look of stainless steel. The matt aluminium looks much better IMO, as well as looking good with more straps too, again this is just my opinion.

My space grey model comes today so i can wear that until my replacement comes!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It isn't just that Apple will replace it though. It matters who you talk to from Apple. The first phone call i had the person just said that it would be £185 and to take it into the store if i want to take it further.
I purchased the sport because i don't like the look of stainless steel. The matt aluminium looks much better IMO, as well as looking good with more straps too, again this is just my opinion.

My space grey model comes today so i can wear that until my replacement comes!

It's definitely all preference on looks. I have brushed nickel towel rods and such in my bathrooms, so I get the desire for that. I just REALLY liked the look of the SS when I tried it on. I also wanted it to match the leather loop band I *really* liked and wanted to get, although I started with the white sports band.

Maybe in a couple of generations they can make all models out of stainless steel with a brushed finish for one and glossy for the other. I think they'll keep the Ion-X glass on sport models because of it being stronger against cracking when heavy force is applied.

And yep, Apple can be very much who you talk to from what I see on here. But I've gotten pretty lucky in the local store and always pretty much gotten the best treatment. In a company that big you're going to have some bad apples, and those always push people to flame on here more than just good service. I just know right now if somehow Comcast ran Apple I would probably get charged for just walking by the store.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
On the one hand, getting a replacement watch because you scratched it is only something Apple people would ever even consider. If you took an Omega Speedmaster to Omega and asked for a replacement because you scratched it, they'd laugh you to the moon.

On the other hand, no one can afford to toss around superfluous freebies like Apple.

On the third hand, the only reason they can afford to toss around superfluous freebies is because they charge so much for stuff in the first place.

On the fourth hand (this is the last hand), one reason they charge so much is to subsidize superfluous freebies.

So every time one of us gets a free watch replacement over a scratch, we are insuring that the next device Apple sells us will be painfully expensive, causing the argument that "I paid a ton of money for this...it should not scratch".

Not saying the OP sought to get a freebie replacement, just saying...

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It's unfortunate to have the scratch but at least you can say/think now that that's out of the way I can just wear it without as much worry. Like the first scratch/dent on a new car. Purchase AppleCare+ and wear it without worry until it's bad enough to need a swap out and pay the fee. Watches will get scratches and that is OK.

RR94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
I got my replacement back, they have just replaced the screen on the watch, not a new watch. I know Apple products are expensive and overpriced but part of that is for the 'premium' service associated with more 'luxury' brands. I wasn't expecting to get a free replacement, i just wanted to make them aware f the problem and hopefully get it fixed for a reasonable price, not the £185 they wanted.

Now i can get a refund on my SG sport and treat myself to a new strap. Might get my dad a milanese band for Fathers day too.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
On the one hand, getting a replacement watch because you scratched it is only something Apple people would ever even consider. If you took an Omega Speedmaster to Omega and asked for a replacement because you scratched it, they'd laugh you to the moon.

On the other hand, no one can afford to toss around superfluous freebies like Apple.

On the third hand, the only reason they can afford to toss around superfluous freebies is because they charge so much for stuff in the first place.

On the fourth hand (this is the last hand), one reason they charge so much is to subsidize superfluous freebies.

So every time one of us gets a free watch replacement over a scratch, we are insuring that the next device Apple sells us will be painfully expensive, causing the argument that "I paid a ton of money for this...it should not scratch".

Not saying the OP sought to get a freebie replacement, just saying...
Nordstoms is the same way ... you can buy something from a completely different store and if Nordtroms carries it they'll take it as a return! :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I got my replacement back, they have just replaced the screen on the watch, not a new watch. I know Apple products are expensive and overpriced but part of that is for the 'premium' service associated with more 'luxury' brands. I wasn't expecting to get a free replacement, i just wanted to make them aware f the problem and hopefully get it fixed for a reasonable price, not the £185 they wanted.

Now i can get a refund on my SG sport and treat myself to a new strap. Might get my dad a milanese band for Fathers day too.

Congrats on getting a new screen!

Now, you can call me a party pooper, but there are so many of these sorts of threads with, "I got my Watch and had it for a bit and now there's a scratch on it and I don't recall how it could POSSIBLY have happened blah blah blah."

I'll tell you what happened. You bashed it/scratched it/caught it on something. I'm not sure what "problem" you were trying to make Apple aware of? Maybe...that people are clumsy? Not sure that Apple can fix that.

Seriously, it's like people here have never owned a watch in their life and are all surprised that something protruding from their wrists that can get damaged!

Anyway, now that I've ranted, enjoy your pristine Watch, and try to be more careful in future. :)

Reactions: Azzin and Gjwilly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.