"DamagedFiles" question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maxmax, Jun 24, 2007.

1. maxmax macrumors member

got my first mac when the mbp got updated, blah blah.

so everything has been great until my computer locked up today. i was backing up using superduper to an external harddrive. it stopped and had an error with a file called "upnp.log" on my harddrive. i opened the file and it opened into console. i believe the file was zero kb and now is 46mb. anyways, my system locked up and i couldn't force quit console. well, at first i was able to click force quit by right clicking console on the dock but then the dock and menu bar (except spotlight) locked up too. i couldn't bring up force quit using the keyboard shortcut either.

i didn't know what else to do so i powered off by holding the power button. also later tonight i ran software update and installed the newest security update. just now i noticed a folder on my harddrive called 'damagedfiles.' it's only 1.3mb and has 343 files in it. they all have the little arrow like they are an alias.

does anybody know what this is? finder says it was created at 7:50 which is 8 minutes after i opened the "upnp.log" file.

my computer seems to be running okay. just wondering what's going on. i know i can check logs in the console but i don't really know what i should be looking for.

is it safe to delete?

any guidance is appreciated. thanks.

2. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I wouldnt delete the files. Maybe someone on the boards here can shed some light on the purpose of that file you originally opened. I think that would help us to understand why it added this folder.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

4. maxmax thread starter macrumors member

without being too familiar with os x technicalities, i feel like it was restarting the system by holding the power button that created the folder but it was that file that created the lockup. it took a little extra time and "spinning" on the grey apple boot screen when i did reboot.

the files in the folder seem like mostly cache files, a few mp3s, and a bunch of files that cannot open in any applications.

anyways, everything is working fine so i might just be stressing over nothing but i'll hold out for other replies.

thanks.

5. maxmax thread starter macrumors member

i originally had bitrocket installed, yes. i then removed it and installed transmission. removed that and now have azureus. i didn't start using appzapper until later on so i guess it's possible that that's a left over file from bitrocket? or does azureus use it also?

i'll read that apple document now, thanks.

also, as i said before all the files in this folder are aliases. the original files are not damaged as i've right clicked the alias and clicked show original. the mp3s play normally and the image files open in preview.