Dammit, the upgrade Is actually worth it now..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Oct 17, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i got the 2.4 ghz new mbp and now i wish i got the 2.5

w/ the edu, the difference is 300 dollars
    w/ 300 dollars, i wouldve gotten
    4gb ram (ram costs around 160 on newegg)
    320 gb HD
    6mb cach
    and a 512mb vram

Dammit.. u guys think i missed out?

ps. i tried calling apple store for any hope and they said id have to pay the 10% restocking fee...
    thats freakin 200 dollars WTF

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Nah. Marginal upgrades that you can do later yourself and then some...like a 500GB HDD.

I was in the Apple Store today and even the employees were ragging on one of their own because he wanted to waste his money on the $2499 version versus the $1999 version. They all seem to think, as I do, the bang isn't worth the buck to get the top end version unless you got 2.8ghz. And then, even that is debateable for most apps.

3. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

u still have to pay MORE to get a slight speed bump. the speed difference will become negligible 95% in most usages

4. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

thanks for making me feel better
    i just hate having buyers remorse

for others who wanna ruin my day.. please post below

5. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yup, you missed out, sucks for you :)...j/k
    seriously tho, just take it back and tell them you want to exchange for a diff version. they might not charge you the restocking fee

6. sk47 macrumors member

To add to saving you from the buyer's remorse, I've pitted my 2.5 new mbp vs. my buddy's 2.4 new mbp, and to be honest, I wish I had spent my extra dollars on something else (let's see... two pairs of shoes, a hat, anf shirts blah blah blah).

In short, no difference. And I don't mean marginal difference, I actually mean I felt ZERO difference, except maybe a few spots in certain games, but that was about it.

7. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

meh, i called and they said they would charge me

i dont know if i should take the chance of going there and then 'lose' and not be able to get the 10% restocking fee waived

8. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

good point
    its funny how i always cared about numbers when in the end, it really doesnt matter
    thanks for reminding me

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I spent $2,800 for the 2.8ghz version. Is it going to be THAT much faster than the $1,999 version? Probably not by a wide margin, but I tend to keep my notebooks for 2+ years, and I do a lot of CPU/GPU intensive stuff, so it was worth it to me.

What you need to ask yourself is: can you afford it? Do you NEED it? If you can answer 'yes' to both of those (or just the first one, I suppose) then take it back and go for the 2.5ghz one. If you do like I did and downgrade to the 250gb 7200rpm drive, the 2.8ghz option only costs about $200, so that is something to consider as well.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

it can't hurt to go up there and see. if they do slap you w/ a restocking fee just say "oh, i didn't know yall had that kind of policy" and leave. nothing to loose right?

11. sk47 macrumors member

o and another thing i forgot to mention was that while doing the exact same tasks on my mbp (2.5) and his mbp (2.4), it kinda felt that my mbp was slightly warmer than his. I dunno why, it could just be MY buyer's remorse that's corrupting my mind (...lol), but it definitely did feel hotter at that time.

12. sk47 macrumors member

Well, he said that he's going from a 2.4 not from a 2.5, so it's going to be a pricey 700 dollar upgrade to go to 2.8... yikes (you might as well chip in a bit more to get a LED cinema display)

13. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

spend the money that you save from the upgraded MBP on other needed items, the macbook pro is (supposedly) for video editors, photographers, animators, graphic artists, and audio engineers. pool that saved money on a camera or audio interface or something. you may have all the speed with a 2.8 but unless your pushing it to the max 24/7 then its useless imo. fact, by january 2009 that 2.8 will not be the fastest macbook pro on the planet, so you technically will only have roughly 3 months of "bragging rights" from now until then.

a laptops life span in this day and age is getting shorter and shorter, apple should have an option to lease their laptops imo ;)

14. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Just imagine what you would have to spend on a PowerBook G4 back in the days! Same price, maybe even more for such low specs.

Feel happy you got a really awesome computer! I don't see how the middle range MBP would make any other difference.

15. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

No no no, I understand that part. I'm making a point, not telling him to go for the 2.8 - only that he might want to consider it. It all comes down to what you're willing to pay.

16. sk47 macrumors member

True say. lol especially in this dark recession times, pocket depth determines life...