All iPads Damn - dropped my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richpjr, Feb 24, 2013.

1. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Of all things, I was in the passenger seat of a car and sat my iPad 3 on the dashboard to answer a phone call, and it slid off and fell edge down on the floor mat - maybe a 3 foot fall onto carpet. Didn't seem like a bad fall and I didn't even bother looking at it right away. Went to use it tonight and the entire screen is shattered. Damn. I was going to wait for the iPad 5 to come out before replacing it, but now I'm either faced with paying the $299 for a new screen or just biting the bullet and buying a 4. Of course I have a 64 gig with cellular so it would be substantially more for the 4. Ugh. I have it in an Incipio Smart Feather case so I guess whatever I do I will be getting a case with more protection.

2. unibility macrumors 6502

... "and it slid off and fell edge down on the floor mat - maybe a 3 foot fall onto carpet."

you must have a tall car for the iPad to fall 3 feet to from the dash to the carpet. gezzz... :eek:

3. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

LOL - okay, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 feet.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh man, that really sucks OP. At this point, I'd probably pay Apple for a replacement and wait for the newer model later this year.

5. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

That's what I'm leaning towards, but I'm tempted to try out the base model mini and and tether through my iPhone 5 until the iPad 5 comes out.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you can do without i'd wait to see if the March-April rumors are true for the iPad.

7. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Apple can fix shattered iPhone screens, so it's worth checking if it can be fixed (depending on what's actually broken it might be less)

8. 725032 Guest

You've learnt a valuable lesson.

Get insurance!

9. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

So I went to an Apple store and paid the $299 to replace it - ugh. I worked on the guy for a while but he wouldn't go for giving me a free replacement.

10. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

You should let your wife/girlfriend/friend-that-is-female go in. There is a much higher percentage of getting a free replacement due to gender.

11. richpjr thread starter macrumors 68030

richpjr

I thought about that, but I really needed to get it swapped out today and it just didn't work out for any shameless exploitation on short notice.