damn! pkgbackup never ever works

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The Highlander, Apr 4, 2011.

1. The Highlander macrumors 6502

2. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

I couldn't agree more.
    What are our alternatives ?

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I never got it to work either. I am going to try aptbackup when I JB to 4.3.1 later today.

4. The Highlander thread starter macrumors 6502

aptbackup and I think its free...

finally with the addition of dropbox, i said.. Damn, now this is good and finally it will work... WROOOONGGGG! (Lex Luthor's voice).

i'll give it another try as I got no other choice.. jumped in the upgrade/jailbreak bandwagon...

NOW TALK ABOUT A PIECE OF SOFTWARE THAT HAS ALWAYS WORKED AS ADVERTISED!!! go dev team! Saurik, Ionic, Geohot, Comex, musclenerd and the whole bunch...

I've never had a single issue with my iphone jailbreak since i got my first with the 3g.

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

At one time or another, I've tried them all and, at one time or another, they've all failed. So, I currently use a method that always works. Before I upgrade, I open Cydia and write down, by hand, all the packages I have installed.

After I upgrade, I install them, one at a time after I know they work with the new version of iOS.

Granted, I only have 17 packages and 0 themes, but this manual process takes less time and results in a lot less frustration.

6. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I stopped using Pkgbackup right around the time the dev implemented the DropBox integration.

For all your paid apps, the Manage My Account feature in Cydia works pretty well and helps you keep track of what you have/had installed on your phone. For things like simple tweaks or themes, then writing them down or putting them in a spreadsheet works best. If you have a lot of themes on your phone then I'd suggest backing up the entire themes folder on your phone and then uploading it once you've JB'd again.

8. onefish2 macrumors member

onefish2

Sorry to rain on your bashing parade guys but I have successfully used it the last 3 times after the JB to restore my iPhone 4s settings and apps. Just this morning I upgraded from.4.2 to 4.3.1 and after it was done and all of my apps were restored along with the correct springboard layout of my icons... well I had a huge grin on my face. Well done Jibril Gueye.

9. iFiend macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity, how many packages did you have to restore? I am trying to figure out why some people have had it work on this latest untethered JB and others have not.

10. jthomp macrumors regular

I don't write them down, I take a screen shot of everything in cydia. Sources/repo's, apps... That way i'm golden.. I have never tried either backup apps as I have always heard horror stories...

11. oglock macrumors member

worked perfect for me...

although i had to restore like 5 times in order to get everything

when you hit restore... it restores a certain amount of packages... then you gotta restore again

12. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

this

13. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Havent worked since i bought it:mad:.

Has anybody tried iBye out?

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

It worked for me when I used it during an off time. I dont think anything drawing from Cydia is going to work well the day after a new JB, I can hardly install more than one thing at a time.

When I did use it it worked great, almost to good. I didnt use it this time because I wanted to drop a LOT of tweaks I dont use.

15. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

PkgBackup works.

If it doesn't work for you you're doing it wrong.

16. TC25 macrumors 68020

Thanks, that clears everything up. As I said, at one time, they have all failed for me and I quit using them. I am glad they work for you.

17. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Just saying. People on these types of forums seem to have problems following directions.