Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I know that slow Macbooks have been discussed here a lot, but everything I read and tried was pointless.
So the whole story is this:
My girlfriend came to me and told me that her MBP (early 2011) was pretty slow and that she thought it got to do with the 10.7.3 Update. At first I was making fun of here, because she got a 5400rpm harddrive instead of the SSD I told her to get but then I took a look at the machine and it was just incredibly slow. Whenever I opened a program or spotlight I got a beachball for about 1 min.
What I did was checking the disk, repairing permissions, reset SMC and PRAM but nothing helped. So I hope you guys may have some answers what could cause this problems. Maybe only a clear Lioninstallation will help after all

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Check the CPU and Memory Page ins/outs in Activity monitor.

Click %CPU to sort at the top of the Activity Monitor window. What is the most active process?

Click the System Memory tab near the bottom of the window. What are you Page ins and Page outs?

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Some folks who have had problems after the 10.7.3 update were able to solve those problems by downloading and running (or re-running) the combo update.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I'm trying fixing permissions in Recovery right now, so I can't check, but I did about an hour ago. CPU usage was extreme low, I think WindowServer had the highest usage with about 7%, but all in all not much CPU Usage.
Page Ins were low, Page Outs were 0 (she bought 8GB from Apple instead of the 3rd party SSD I voted for).

EDIT: @ThunderSnake - Thanks didn't think of that, cause I downloaded the Combo from the beginning.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
So I tried everything I found on the internet (including the Combo 10.7.3 Update) but nothing helped.
I checked the Console and found out that about every 30 seconds there is a kernel: disc0s2: I/O error. Checked Smart Status with SMART Utility and it told me the disc is failing. So I guess I was write from the beginning and the HDD is the troublemaker. Gonna go now to the apple store to change the HDD.
Thanks all of you for your help!

HeadGear

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
I've been having the same issues since upgrading to Lion on my early 2011 MacBook Pro. Aside from those same issues I have an issue with YouTube in Safari, but all of my other Mac's don't seem to have this issue.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Went to the MacStore and they said the HDD is gonna die soon ^^
So the drive is going to be switched, which, in Austria, seems to take a week -.-''

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.