Damn, weird things happening with Firefox :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soamz, Jul 3, 2010.

1. soamz macrumors 6502a

Hi..
    Im using Mozilla Firefox 3.6.6

I have 2 weird problems. Even if HISTORY is checked to get saved, all of my sites are not stored on the history and only few sites are shown.

I have to type all of the **** everytime I open it.

Next problem is, whenever Im trying to download anything on firefox,lets say, a zip file, then it gets opened on the same window, saying application (x-zip)....

What can be the problem ?

I dragged the Firefox from applications to Trash , and then reinstall , but I see its all the old settings and data in there .

Howcome its possible ?

I read that, when you drag something to trash, then al of its system files, cachem memory , everything gets deleted.

Then howcome it brought back the old data ?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You misunderstood. Dragging the application bundle to the Trash disposes of all executable code associated with the application. However, it does not dispose of user data and settings. If you reinstall the application five years from now, then your old settings will be there waiting for you. If your settings are corrupt, then they must be deleted. In the case of Firefox, there is a 4K preferences file named ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.firefox.plist. Drag this file to your Desktop and then relaunch Firefox. If everything is OK, then feel free to Trash the old .plist file.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Problem #1 is caused by a corrupt profile. This isn't too hard to fix. Quit Firefox, then find the offending folder (it's in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles) and move it elsewhere. Relaunch.

Problem #2 is usually caused by a web server misconfiguration (not on your end) but it could also be caused by some Firefox extension you had installed.

As for your question, you're resting on a false assumption - that being when the application is sent to the Trash, all the user customizations go with it. Not true.

4. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh wow!
    Then whats the right way to uninstall the apps in imac ?

Please dont say to install some Wise Uninstaller. It happened in Windows and that was one the of reason, I moved to MAC.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Uninstalling applications on Mac OS X is kind of a pain, because different applications use different installation methods.

1) Drag-install (example: Adium)
    2) .pkg-based installer with custom uninstaller (example: Xcode)
    3) .pkg-based installer without uninstaller (example: NetBeans)
    4) Custom installer & custom uninstaller (example: Flash Player)
    5) Custom installer & no custom uninstaller (can't think of an example)

For applications that used method 2 or 4, run the provided uninstaller FIRST.
    For all methods, some additional work needs to be done, but only if you want caches, preferences, and other user files removed. The easiest way to do this is to use a tool that assists you with the process. Doing it manually is possible too.

6. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh bad..

Ok, I have installed MACKEEPER..
    It has a UNINSTALLER feature.

7. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

AppZapper is really good, you just drag the app you want to uninstall into it and it finds all associated files an folders, click zap and there straight to your trash.

Have tried Windows uninstallers like Revo, doesn't compare too much as App Zapper doesn't take much longer than dragging the App to the trash. Just added steps of launching the program and clicking zap.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Firefox / preferences / privacy / automatically start firefox in private browsing

If this is checked, it'll always wipe out the history.

Of course, so will the other checkbox that says "clear history when firefox closes"

---

Wiping out history in firefox and purging the old .sqlite files...

Other method, go to bookmarks / organize bookmarks / backup and save the bookmarks to the desktop.

Close firefox

Go to Username / library / application support / firefox / profiles / your profile

Drag any file over 500kb to the trash. Can probably kill all the url/places files that end in .sqlite

Restart firefox, if all you bookmarks have not returned, you can use restore bookmarks and the file you had on the desktop to restore them.

note about bookmarks, they are stored in the places.sqlite file with the history -- so you got to save them just in case.

Doesn't hurt to go to

Username / library / caches / firefox and dump all the files in there if you want to purge the cache

9. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

There was something bad and whole firefox was dead.
    No history, no bookmark saving, no downloading, etc.

I just installed a nice light weight app called APP CLEANER.

And its a nice drag drop app, which finds all associated files and deletes it.

So, I deleted Firefox, iDvd, iWeb, DVD Player, Front Row, iCal .

I dont need them all.
    So, okay I deleted them or it was supporting any app behind ?

10. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi..
    Can anyone reply to the above questions ?

Also, I have a new question.

I had installed Little Snitch , but I dint like it.
    So, I removed it using App Cleaner.
    Now the app is gone.

But it has left behind a network monitor , which shows on top menu of the imac.

How do we remove that and from where ?

11. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

You should have removed Little Snitch using the uninstaller that comes with the application. I'm certain that there's an uninstaller in the Little Snitch Disk Image. You may need to install it again just to uninstall it properly. It's been a while since I've used Little Snitch.

12. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gotcha!
    Will do that..
    Question :

Can i just deactivate GROWL ?
    I dont think, its necessary.
    Is it for an iMac ?

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Growl is not necessary at all. You can safely deactivate it.