damn you, college.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mixmacface, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

so i just moved into college. on my own, no parents, or rules. . and it's alright, i guess . . but i have a problem:
    i can't connect to my campus' wi-fi. when i first plugged in my macbook, it had me download some crap to get on the internet. . a stupid filter. however, it's all fine and dandy, but my ipod can't connect.
    it's really annoying since i'll probably end up using it in class to check my email and such.
    anywho, is there anyway i could get around this? my ipod says it's connected, has the blue bars, but displays that it's not connected. any suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. menthol moose macrumors regular

Contact somebody in the IT department and ask them about it. What college is it?

3. gillybean macrumors 6502a

To connect to my campus Wifi I had to fill out some form with my mac address for the IT people.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

The MAC is probably filtered out of the network. Connected to the network ≠ connected to internet. The school's IT department should be able to help you out.

5. atomheartmother macrumors regular

All I had to do was enter everything in manually. So rather than selecting the network that is automatically detected, I typed in the name of the network in the "Other" category and followed those steps.

But I didn't need to download anything to get my iBook to run on the campus network; I just had to activate 802X or whatever.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

If you can't check your email in class .... maybe you will have to listen and you might actually learn something ;)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Most schools require you to register your computer on the network first.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

did you have to dl a vpn client to get your computer on the internet?

if so, your ipod is out of luck

9. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

If its a MAC issue, make sure you want the Touch on the network, because the school wifi I use only allows one MAC per person. I've heard this policy from other schools as well, but I don't know if its a common one - still something to look into.

10. mixmacface thread starter macrumors regular

mixmacface

hey, i plan to pay attention. . but sometimes, my mind wanders.

@ menthol moose, it's shepherd uni. which isn't near jack squat.

i had to download bradford dissolvable agent? idk. we have to have an ethernet cable to connect to the intarwebs.

it's frustrating. stupid college.

11. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

You may be in luck though, there may just be a website gateway that you'd have to login through. When I lived in the dorms, we weren't allowed to set up any wireless networks in the dorms, and we weren't allowed to register any gaming consoles for the wired network.

12. menthol moose macrumors regular

If all else fails, you might be able to set up an ad-hoc network and use the internet from the Macbook on the iPod. I'll see if I can find any information on it.

EDIT: Quick check and I found this link: click here. I can't test it because I don't have Airport but your Macbook will, and it will probably only work where you bring your laptop, but that's about the best I can think of if there's no other options.

13. mixmacface thread starter macrumors regular

mixmacface

thanks for the link. . i've bookmarked it, but i don't have time to do all that (classes started today.. boo!). i'll try it out and see if it works. it may take me a while, stuff like this isn't my forte. thanks again! :)