Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
Most Apple employees are incredibly happy to be contributing to changing the world. Apple is still ranked pretty much the best corporation to work for on earth.

Do some employees sometimes wish they were paid more and had better conditions? Sure. But who doesn't sometimes feel like that?
That's PR talk. You're ignoring what employees have actually said and were quoted saying.

Reactions: PC_tech

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
That's PR talk. You're ignoring what employees have actually said and were quoted saying.

I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying you'll always find employees who are unhappy, have negative things to say about their employer, and have grand ideas about how they believe things could be run better.

The CareerBliss data shows Apple is doing a pretty spectacular job, given their size.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
I'm not ignoring it. I'm saying you'll always find employees who are unhappy, have negative things to say about their employer, and have grand ideas about how they believe things could be run better.

The CareerBliss data shows Apple is doing a pretty spectacular job, given their size.
But a company's HR department's duty is to respond and investigate employee complaints, not to brush them off as they did.

I'm glad Apple's ratings are good. I'd like to know whether they are that good among Apple Store employees and other lowest paid employees specifically. In any case, if 0.1% of the employees have valid complaints, they have to be addressed.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
But a company's HR department's duty is to respond and investigate employee complaints, not to brush them off as they did.
What if, as HR, you respond, investigate and find that the employees weren’t the sterling arbiters of truth that they claimed to be? Do you take action on their false claims just so they feel like they were heard?

I'm glad Apple's ratings are good. I'd like to know whether they are that good among Apple Store employees and other lowest paid employees specifically. In any case, if 0.1% of the employees have valid complaints, they have to be addressed.
0.1%? How about 0.010884% because that’s the percentage of 147,000 these 16 are. And where does it end? For example, if they were to have a retail employee that was hired yesterday complaining that they should be VP of marketing, their first thought should NOT be, “UH oh, they’re complaining, how quickly can we make them a VP?!” In a lot of cases “addressing complaints” must end with “No”.

Reactions: I7guy

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
HR exist to protect the company, not the employee. Anyone who's voiced a concern with HR the complaint is dealt with in a manner that keeps the public image clean. If it's good PR for the company punish the one causing the problem, they will do so with much fanfare. If it would be bad PR, they'll deal with the snitch secretly. Snitches get stitches. Capisce? This usually means low level employees are thrown under the bus.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
HR exist to protect the company, not the employee. Anyone who's voiced a concern with HR the complaint is dealt with in a manner that keeps the public image clean. If it's good PR for the company punish the one causing the problem, they will do so with much fanfare. If it would be bad PR, they'll deal with the snitch secretly. Snitches get stitches. Capisce? This usually means low level employees are thrown under the bus.

Fair point. A department called Human Resources is obviously not out there for the sake of the employees.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is no doubt working retail is tough. All companies will have employees that have criticisms of the company and claim their HR discussions didn't go in favor of them. But Apple retail hourly wage seems on average above the national norm. Clearly one has to be able to put up with some of the stresses of dealing with the public at large.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.