Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Mine has a bunch of little scratches, but they're barely noticeable unless you're looking for them. I'll probably just polish mine before I sell it when the 2nd gen comes out.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
*too

And stainless steel will scratch. Physics and metal and... reality... and all that jazz. You have not owned a stainless steel product of any kind (that's not completely stationary or cordoned off from touch/use) that didn't scratch.

Almost 2 months with my SB SS, and not a scratch. If/when it happens, meh. It's a watch.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Why would you think stainless steel was resistant to scratches? My SS knives and forks are certainly a bit scratched. My watch is now pretty scratched. I think it looks pretty good. For me a scratched SS still looks better than the sports watches so I'm happy with my decision. And if I was ever that bothered about the scratches, I know I can polish them out.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
....but the Apple Watch uses a special cold forged SS that's up to 80% harder than ordinary steel! And the person saying it even had a posh british accent!!!
"80% harder" ≠ "invulnerable". Not sure why some people don't make this distinction. As for the "posh" british accent, if you were to actually go to britain you would probably notice a lot of people talking just like that, without necessarily being all that posh. :p

Anyway, anything that is mirror finish is going to show scratches if it's used, especially on a daily basis. The sapphire front crystal is much harder than the steel casing, and that too scratches under the right circumstances, you don't even need anything as hard or harder than the sapphire itself for it to be noticeable.

Watches you wear on your wrist rub constantly against clothes and stuff like that in our surroundings. Debris may be caught in the cloth, or there could be stiff fibers etc, that when mashed up against the casing will leave tiny marks. It's normal, and to be expected. If you ducktape your iphone to your wrist and keep it there for a couple weeks it will look no better. ;)

Prattdizzle

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
NSW Australia
Hey friends, just wondering the wear and tear (character) that each of you have experienced with your watches. Personally I love the way mine has worn and it is even more awesome to know that all I have to do is polish the watch and its character is reset and starts again.

here is a video as to the wear and tear of my watch.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
Having owned multiple stainless steel watches myself I wonder how the Apple Watch will hold up. Scratches are inevitable but as said above it also adds character. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless you own a Watch Sport. Then you should very much worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.