Danger! Danger Will Robinson!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That's too bad. I always liked watching the reruns of Lost in Space when I was a kid.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's sad...I'm old enough to have watched the original series when it first aired.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Jeez, all of these old guys hanging around. How can we youngsters relate to them? :D

5. iJohnHenry, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's tough, but you have to try...Otherwise we feel left out of society and might start breaking windows and stuff...:D:D

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I used to watch reruns of that show on a black and white television when I was a kid. It aired in between the Beverly Hillbillies and The Adams Family.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is pretty much how I remember it also. Throw in leave it to beaver and the like....... Nick at night was great for this type of stuff....

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Lost in Space was a very high budget program for it's time. The original black and white episodes are still fun to watch, but the later color years got kind of silly.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Don't get me started.. and while TV Land comes close, it's missing the mark on some of the older shows. Nick at Night was great for the classics!

Compared to some .... a lot of the shows out now, I'd take this, Mr. Ed, Donna Reed, My Three Sons, I Love Lucy, and Patty Duke over American Idol, X Factor and <insert teen drama here> anytime.

For the record, the first time I ever saw any of these shows, was on Nick at Night. So I'm not *that* old! :D

BL.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both..... :D

12. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

I've bumped in to June Lockhart a number of times in Santa Monica, and when I tell people about it you can tell who are the "Lost in Space" fans by their expression. She was a looker back then, and is still attractive.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

June Lockhart!! Timmy's mommy!! I wonder what happened to Jon Provost!

For those not in the know, watch an original episode of Lassie.

BL.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ya think? :D

I'm a Lost in Space fan from way back. For those less familiar, the very first episodes in particular were rousing good adventure stories -- serious enough that Col. Smith was a foreign agent who attempted to kill the Robinsons -- and used the robot to do it.

The robot originally had no personality, being merely a scientific tool. Yet like Mr. Spock, they managed to derive some humor from it by having the robot taking colloquial expressions too literally. Tell the robot to "dry up", and he'd give you a humidity report.

The robot himself was designed by Bob Kinoshita, the same man who created the one for "Forbidden Planet". Bob May was the actor inside the robot, and as ucf notes, Dick Tufeld did the voice. He was even doing it in recent years. There's a company that builds full-sized, amazingly authentic replicas, with custom recordings of Dick Tufeld's voice included. They're only $25,000. :eek:

Anyway, you're right, the show was extremely high budget for its time, and even scientifically accurate to a degree before it became silly. It's said both that the producer wanted to compete with Batman's campy style, and that Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith) pushed to turn his character into the bumbling, effeminate thing that it became.

Though I can remember even at age 11 being horrified at the direction the show turned, I've long ago reached rapprochement with it. I just turn off my brain and enjoy the sillier shows.

Thanks for indulging me. :D

I heard he fell down a well. ;)

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

But then Lassie ran for help and barked a message to Timmy's mother and grandfather and they ran and saves him.

And Rudd Weatherwax won an Emmy.:p:rolleyes:

16. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

"All In the Family" took a similar turn. It started out as a groundbreaking brilliant comedy series, but really dumbed down in the later years.