Danger! Danger Will Robinson!

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I used to watch reruns of that show on a black and white television when I was a kid. It aired in between the Beverly Hillbillies and The Adams Family.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Lost in Space was a very high budget program for it's time. The original black and white episodes are still fun to watch, but the later color years got kind of silly.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
That is pretty much how I remember it also. Throw in leave it to beaver and the like....... Nick at night was great for this type of stuff....
Don't get me started.. and while TV Land comes close, it's missing the mark on some of the older shows. Nick at Night was great for the classics!

Compared to some .... a lot of the shows out now, I'd take this, Mr. Ed, Donna Reed, My Three Sons, I Love Lucy, and Patty Duke over American Idol, X Factor and <insert teen drama here> anytime.

For the record, the first time I ever saw any of these shows, was on Nick at Night. So I'm not *that* old! :D

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Don't get me started.. and while TV Land comes close, it's missing the mark on some of the older shows. Nick at Night was great for the classics!

Compared to some .... a lot of the shows out now, I'd take this, Mr. Ed, Donna Reed, My Three Sons, I Love Lucy, and Patty Duke over American Idol, X Factor and <insert teen drama here> anytime.

For the record, the first time I ever saw any of these shows, was on Nick at Night. So I'm not *that* old! :D

BL.
You and me both..... :D

NY Guitarist

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
That's sad...I'm old enough to have watched the original series when it first aired.
I've bumped in to June Lockhart a number of times in Santa Monica, and when I tell people about it you can tell who are the "Lost in Space" fans by their expression. She was a looker back then, and is still attractive.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I've bumped in to June Lockhart a number of times in Santa Monica, and when I tell people about it you can tell who are the "Lost in Space" fans by their expression. She was a looker back then, and is still attractive.
June Lockhart!! Timmy's mommy!! I wonder what happened to Jon Provost!

For those not in the know, watch an original episode of Lassie.

BL.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Lost in Space was a very high budget program for it's time. The original black and white episodes are still fun to watch, but the later color years got kind of silly.
Ya think? :D

I'm a Lost in Space fan from way back. For those less familiar, the very first episodes in particular were rousing good adventure stories -- serious enough that Col. Smith was a foreign agent who attempted to kill the Robinsons -- and used the robot to do it.

The robot originally had no personality, being merely a scientific tool. Yet like Mr. Spock, they managed to derive some humor from it by having the robot taking colloquial expressions too literally. Tell the robot to "dry up", and he'd give you a humidity report.

The robot himself was designed by Bob Kinoshita, the same man who created the one for "Forbidden Planet". Bob May was the actor inside the robot, and as ucf notes, Dick Tufeld did the voice. He was even doing it in recent years. There's a company that builds full-sized, amazingly authentic replicas, with custom recordings of Dick Tufeld's voice included. They're only $25,000. :eek:

Anyway, you're right, the show was extremely high budget for its time, and even scientifically accurate to a degree before it became silly. It's said both that the producer wanted to compete with Batman's campy style, and that Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith) pushed to turn his character into the bumbling, effeminate thing that it became.

Though I can remember even at age 11 being horrified at the direction the show turned, I've long ago reached rapprochement with it. I just turn off my brain and enjoy the sillier shows.

Thanks for indulging me. :D

June Lockhart!! Timmy's mommy!! I wonder what happened to Jon Provost!
I heard he fell down a well. ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ya think? :D

I'm a Lost in Space fan from way back. For those less familiar, the very first episodes in particular were rousing good adventure stories -- serious enough that Col. Smith was a foreign agent who attempted to kill the Robinsons -- and used the robot to do it.

The robot originally had no personality, being merely a scientific tool. Yet like Mr. Spock, they managed to derive some humor from it by having the robot taking colloquial expressions too literally. Tell the robot to "dry up", and he'd give you a humidity report.

The robot himself was designed by Bob Kinoshita, the same man who created the one for "Forbidden Planet". Bob May was the actor inside the robot, and as ucf notes, Dick Tufeld did the voice. He was even doing it in recent years. There's a company that builds full-sized, amazingly authentic replicas, with custom recordings of Dick Tufeld's voice included. They're only $25,000. :eek:

Anyway, you're right, the show was extremely high budget for its time, and even scientifically accurate to a degree before it became silly. It's said both that the producer wanted to compete with Batman's campy style, and that Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith) pushed to turn his character into the bumbling, effeminate thing that it became.

Though I can remember even at age 11 being horrified at the direction the show turned, I've long ago reached rapprochement with it. I just turn off my brain and enjoy the sillier shows.

Thanks for indulging me. :D

I heard he fell down a well. ;)
But then Lassie ran for help and barked a message to Timmy's mother and grandfather and they ran and saves him.

And Rudd Weatherwax won an Emmy.:p:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.