Danger in customizing 'items' to migrate/transfer to new drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stikygum, Sep 28, 2012.

1. stikygum macrumors newbie

I somewhat hate to ask a transferring files question, but I recently bought a smaller 256gb SSD to put in the normal hard drive bay and I also bought a 750gb HDD to put in the optical bay (I bought the kit to replace the dvd drive with a hard drive). My current hard drive is 500gb HDD, with 247gb of data items currently on it. The complication I'm anticipating is using Migration Assistant to split this data. I want the Applications and some of the audio to go to the SSD and the rest of the audio files to go to the 750gb HD.

I have 2 questions. #1 Is there a danger in splitting up these files between 2 hard drives (will I need to make Aliases and how will I know which files to make Aliases for)? #2 Can I pick which audio files go to each hard drive?

I'm thinking I may know the answer to my 2nd question. I have read this article on Migration Assistant and wanted to confirm that I can choose which audio goes where, on Step #9 (for the Firewire transfer):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I would keep all your data (music, videos, documents, etc.) on the HDD as there is no benefit to putting them on the SSD. The apps that use these data files (which should be put on the SSD, but you already know that) are where you'll see the speed boost.

3. stikygum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the insight. I into music production with my Macbook Pro. And I'm just wondering about the problems I might encounter if I start splitting up files, trying to seperate the apps from the audio files, where to keep the VSTs and their presets, making sure I direct the alias of the 'audio/samples' folders to the proper place on the other hard drive, etc.

I've heard that there can be a benefit by keeping some audio/samples that I use very often on the SSD drive. I have a couple libraries of samples I use all the time, so I'm thinking even if they load a little bit faster it's worth it. Do you think it would slow down my SSD?

I'm trying find out what kinds of problems/dangers I might run into by picking and choosing files to put in different places/drives.

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Keeping the music files you use most often on the SSD won't slow it down, it's just that a traditional HDD is typically fast enough when it comes to loading things like music and movie files. If you have enough space, however, keeping a few music/video files on the SSD won't negatively impact it.

As for what issues you might run in to, I can't comment on that, unfortunately, as I only have experience with SSD+HDD in Windows. Someone else should be able to walk you through that, though.