Dangerous temperatures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taintedwheat, Jan 10, 2008.

1. taintedwheat macrumors member

taintedwheat

I bought a MBP in august of '07. I occasionally play WarCraft 3 but when I do, iStat Pro reports a CPU temp of up to 80 degrees. I'm not sure if this is Fahrenheit or Celsius but either way my MBP seems to be unusually hot especially just above the keyboard (around the hinge area). Is this a problem or something that is normal?

2. EngBrian macrumors regular

My macbook (not pro) gets up to 90 Celsius when I am encoding video. I still think that is too hot but i have always been told that that is normal when stressing the cpu.

If you want you can change istatpro to Fahrenheit or Celsius or even Kelvin whatever you prefer.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's quite simple to see which temperature scale iStat is using under the settings.

Laptops also get quite hot while gaming. I remember my iMac hitting those temperatures every time I played a game.

Attached Files:

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

5. taintedwheat thread starter macrumors member

taintedwheat

Alright I checked and its Celsius. Is 80 degrees really normal? I don't even play for long time periods.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're hitting the processor and video card at 100% when you're playing a game. It is normal for a 1" thick computer to get very hot when doing so.

7. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

don't worry at all. i play WoW for HOURS on end and the temp reaches 80C
    if your concerned invest 10$ in a cooling pad, i bought one because i was concerned with this same problem. using the pad it dropped my temperature to the 70's and keeps my fans at 5000rpm instead of 6400.

i just posted a thread about this
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=411497&highlight=gaming+vs+heat