iPad mini Dangerous to read with the iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jack3d, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Jack3d macrumors newbie

Hi everybody! I want to know if it's dangerous for the eyes to read a book with the iPad Mini. Sorry if my question is stupid

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, it is not. It's not dangerous to read on any non-CRT screen, though it can cause fatigue. By that, I mean your eyes could get tired, but you really won't cause any permanent damage.

It's not even really dangerous to read stuff on a CRT screen, but you'll definitely get fatigued faster. If you don't know, a CRT screen is the older tube style screen.

There are no stupid questions.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

The question you answered was not, in any way, stupid.

However, I would respectfully disagree that there are NO stupid questions.

Stick around for a while and, trust me, you will see some astoundingly stupid questions!!:p

;) :D

4. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Certainly not. Although I would always recommend retina over non-retina for reading, there's nothing to worry about since the display is really great. If there are hereditary eye diseases in your family, you should avoid eye strain anyway, no matter what kind of screen you are using.

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

you have a higher chance of developing obesity and diabetes than you do going blind from an iPad screen. in fact, as of right now, if you are an adult you have a 60% chance of already being obese

you can then break down those stats further into specific medical conditions based on what level of obesity you are

so all in all, no...you are fine. most eye conditions are due to 1) genetics and 2) injuries

6. Haifisch macrumors regular

Just turn brightness down so that it's not glaring. It might look dim at first but it makes for more comfortable sessions. Turn brightness back up when doing other things.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Only if you poke your eyes with the corner of the iPad. :rolleyes:

This. Also, pick the theme that's the easiest on your eyes. I prefer the Sepia theme.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Reading on your iPad mini poses no threat to your eyesight.

9. irDigital0l Guest

Just don't read it for like 4-9 hour straight.

Haven't tried it but obviously if you do that your eyes will hurt and may causes some damages.

Really, if you use any electronic to much (watch TV, play video games, etc.) it can be bad for your eyes.

Just use it normally.

10. superstarmc macrumors regular

I do it every night and doesn't strain my eyes.

11. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

...it doesn't give you hairy palms either....

but what about reading on an iPad? [ta dum tish]

12. Erko macrumors member

This. Basically find the sweetspot for you where the display isn't either too dim so that you have to strain your eyes to read nor too bright that it will burn your eyes.

13. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Basis for your 4-9 hour quote? If that were true, I and a ton of other people I know who stare at computer screens all day for a living, would be screwed.

The mini is awesome for reading. Nothing else to say about it.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

While I agree with you the iPad is a good e reader, I would like to add that the matter isn't really retina or not-retina. And screen dimensions aren't the real problem to read a book too.
    E-ink displays sports similar (or even smaller) dimensions, lower resolution but they strain your eyes even less than a retina display.

15. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

do i cook a roast before i eat it? ;)

16. Bear macrumors G3

Would it be a roast if your didn't cook it? :)

17. irDigital0l Guest

What I was trying to imply was that starring for anything for too long might cause damages.

And yes I know people who had to wear glasses due to their job.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Yes if you are driving!

19. Jack3d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer everybody. To be honest I was afraid about thie but you're reasurring me :)

20. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Dam it. My Mum has been lying to me all these years. I knew it wouldn't turn me blind!

----------

So many jokes, so little time. LOL

21. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

no stupid questions, just stupid people ;)

----------

what none of these goofs will tell you is that they're reading these forums completely zoomed in because they've shot their eyes ipad reading!

;)
    obviously i'm kidding - but if you are primarily focussed on reading, i'd get an e-reader like a kindle. you can get the last gen kindles for less than $100 easily - probably way under if you watch CL and ebay. so you could always get both...

i read a lot - wouldn't want to do it on an ipad so i love my Kindle. but no - i don't think you'd hurt your eyes. just take breaks, make sure you're blinking etc.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The only danger is falling asleep while reading and dropping it on your nose.

23. ikev85 macrumors member

^^^ i've done that before :eek:

24. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

See, I feel the exact opposite. Reading on the Kindle isn't comfortable to me. The contrast ratio isn't high enough and browsing around in a book is a bear with how slow the interface is. The mini is the perfect reading device to me.

25. AppleRobert macrumors 603

You will find out when you use it. Some folks get headaches, many do not. What about browsing, you gonna do that?

You can buy a cheaper e-reader if that will be your primary use.