Dangerous to transporting MB while it's turned on.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Halcyon, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

I constantly transport my 13" white MB while it's turned on. That is, I close the lid, put it inside its neoprene sleeve and into my backpack...to be lugged around for the rest of the day.

Is this safe? Can it suffer from HD failure at some time?

I was under the impression that once the lid is closed the computers goes to sleep and nothing "spins" any more...so what damage can occur, right? Well, a friend just had to replace the HD on his MB and the tech guy said that it was damaged because he never turned it off before moving it around.

Can I keep doing this and be on the safe side? Should I shut it off before transporting it? I use my computer while visiting clients, so powering down and then turning it on for every visit I make is not only bothersome but most of the time impractical because I can't sit in my clients office and wait till the computer shuts off before leaving...you get the idea.

What's the final word on this?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

There is no risk doing this. When you close the lid, the MB goes to sleep after a few seconds and the HDD stops spinning. That "Tech guy" has no idea what he's talking about, no worries.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

When you close the lid on the laptop, it goes to sleep and stores its state in RAM and the HDD stops spinning. It is perfectly fine to carry it around all day in your bag. I've been doing this on my early 2007 MBP for years and the HDD is fine.

That tech guy cannot say with certainty that carrying it around is what caused the HDD to fail. HDD's fail all the time and is common. I am skeptical that it being carried around is what caused the problem.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

As long as you make sure the hard drive is asleep when the MacBook is asleep, there's nothing to worry about.

5. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

I did some googling and what you guys mention is correct. Once the lid closes the HD goes to sleep...

Thanks.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Here is some additonal good information on the laptop HDD and motion sensor from Apple:

Apple Portables: Advanced tips for Sudden Motion Sensor