Dangerous-waking up (or not going to sleep)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cheeryble, Apr 13, 2009.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi from Chiangmai

I just occasionally have noticed my Blackbook, running 10.5.6, when I open it after closing it and moving elsewhere say, may have lost a lot of it's battery power.
    I think what's happening is it's not going to sleep properly (or it's waking up) when closed.
    This of course leaves me with not enough power (today 8% when I opened up).
    What concerns me much more is that the HD arm might not be in the parked position and damage could result with me travelling around. I have in fact had two complete HD failures in 2 1/2 years (though I have no reason to believe this is the cause, in fact I doubt it).

I'm aware I can press the power button then select SLEEP and I often do when I'm just charging at home and want to keep the temp down (it's hot here!).
    Very interested to know what's going on though.....in fact interested in the bigger picture of HD arms when the things spinning as I use my Macbook outside and on my lap a lot, and can't help some movement of course.
    I emphasise when I shut the lid it normally sleeps as normal, this is just an occasional thing.
    So is it dangerous, what's causing it, and what about the bigger pic on HD arms when moving the laptop around?

thanx v much
    Cheeryble

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I find that if you move it quickly before it goes to sleep (10-30 seconds depends on how much ram you have), then it will not sleep properly, due to the sudden motion sensor.