iPod touch Dangers of jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mark28, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Can your iPod touch get broken if you jailbreak it?

I got the iPod Touch 3G running iOS 4.3.3

2. ESPN macrumors regular

Very low chance of bricking, a solution when this happens is to set the device to DFU mode.

3. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

Another potential consequence I would have thought is that if Apple find out that you've jail broken it, they'll void your warranty perhaps.

4. nawras94 macrumors member

none only voids warranty if you still have
    and its 100% reversable
    so there are NO dangers

good luck

5. AlanFord macrumors regular

I heard there are.Not for hardware, but for software working.
    That JB exploits bugs in iOS, and in short, exploating those bugs could result in shorter battery ect.Specialy some cydia apps, which can do harm to your software not working fluidly.
    So can someone please explain to me.Thanks.

6. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

The PDF exploit that Jailbreakme 3.0 uses to jailbreak via the internet is an exploit for anyone to plan an attack on any iDevice whether or not they are jailbroken or not. Luckily, if you jailbroke your iDevice via Jailbreakme 3.0, Cydia has a PDF exploit patch that patches the hole once your jailbroken.

However, Apple has to release patch fix anyway for non-jailbroken users or non-geeks who do not know how to jailbreak. As soon as Apple releases a fix, they will input it in a small iOS update or in iOS 5. At that point, if you update to that firmware Apple has patched, jailbreakme 3.0 cannot work anymore.

7. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

It dosen't harm your device, it CAN cause glitches in the iOS based on device, generation of device, and just what firmware it is but Hardware is safe so if something goes wrong you can ALWAYS restore. Also let me be clear, IT DOES NOT VOID WARRANTY* Apple wants its customers to stop jailbreaking so they freaked the masses out by saying it does. Reality is unless you mess with the baseband to unlock an iPhone a clean restore clears everything and they have no way to know you did anything to it, and a baseband change is really the only grounds for voiding the warranty in this case. Besides, a clean restore almost ALWAYS fixes the issue, as in 99.99999999999999999999% of the time.

8. nawras94 macrumors member

let me just say it has no problems
    no glichts battery life still the same
    everything is the same

9. jonrando macrumors 6502a

There is a 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance you will brick it as it's very rare and it's hard to brick an iOS device unless you really screw around with things. When you're jailbroken, you can usually download patches for security holes that Apple updates the software for.

It does void your warranty if an Apple employee sees it's jailbroken when you go into the Apple store for help, etc, but there's no way for Apple to remotely check if your device is jailbroken. You still technically have a warranty, it's just that Apple won't help you if your device is jailbroken.

You can easily get your device back to stock iOS just by restoring through iTunes.