Danish professor predicted it 2 weeks ago

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowboarder, Jun 24, 2010.

1. snowboarder macrumors 6502

This is crazy:

http://translate.google.dk/translat...d-antenne-problemer-1.362104.html&sl=da&tl=en

"The actual circuit board works as a part of the antenna and the metal frame around the coupler signal into it. But it means that the user can not avoid interfering antenna system with its touch, "says Gert Frølund Pedersen ComON.

But designers can not compensate for touch in the software so that they are repealed or even used as an advantage?

"But the human tissue will in any event, have an inhibitory effect on the antenna. Touch means that a larger portion of the antenna energy turns into heat and lost. This makes the antenna less efficient to send and receive radio signals, "says Gert Frølund Pedersen.

Researchers at Aalborg University have previously demonstrated that gradually reduce mobile antenneeffektivtet in very great degree. Antenna effect may be reduced by more than 90 percent if you hold tight on your mobile phone where the antenna is located.

Apple, hire the guy today!

2. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I'm in progress for my Electrical Engineering degree, and I immediatly thought there would be issues holding the antenna. However, since I'm by no means a professional yet, I thought maybe Apple had come up with a workaround...or at least tested their product :rolleyes:

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

4. bina12834 macrumors regular

for the last time guys...this problem isnt limited to the iphone 4.....its a problem with iOS4....theres videos of the 3G and 3GS, both with iOS4, having the same problem.

5. ValientHimself macrumors member

Check while running a speed test app. Mine doesn't show any dropping of bars either, but I can make the speed go from around 1000kpbs to near ZERO simply by holding the bottom left corner. Bars stay at a full 5 though.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

“There’s only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures and the Dutch.”

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

The Danish prof was making a rather generic statement that touching an antenna will affect its signal strength. This is actually not the problem with the iPhone 4. People can put their hands all over the antenna with no signal loss at all; it's when you apparently "join" the two antennas by even just barely touching the notch on the left side that something weird happens.

8. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I think they have already come out with a work around... the bumper.

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Weird, I haven't run into an issue like that using either my old 3G or current 3G S...

10. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

But he's Danish?

11. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Thats not a work around, its another £25 to get my £600 phone working.... shouldn't the £600 handset "Just Work"?

12. Fidget08 macrumors regular

Fidget08

HAHAHA Austin Powers reference for the dutch win!

13. brvheart macrumors 6502

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well you know how it is with Americans…
    Danish/Dutch… Swiss/Swedish…
    All the same to them.
    :rolleyes:

15. BoxerBurn macrumors newbie

Oh man I just spit my coffee out!:D

16. mantic macrumors 6502a

Well then one would assume once you put a case on the phone that covers the edges and exposed antenna that the design flaw would be somewhat negated?

17. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

if it is a software issue, they will simply fix it with a patch / firmware. However if it is a hardware issue, then I wouldn't be surprised if Apple starts giving away the bumpers for free.

Hilariously enough my cousin who has owned the 3G and the 3GS always told me that the iPhone is the best phone in the world, except if you want to make phone calls... at least Apple is consistent with the iPhone 4.

18. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

People are comical.. by a show of hands, how many people have a electrical engineer degree?? For you to refute this professors claims, I suggest you start by having some stable grown to stand on....

Its a design flaw... period.

19. gmikesell macrumors regular

Yep, a case will fix this!

Just got my ip4 and experienced the degraded signal. Put my old rubber case on it and now perfect full bars. Can't wait for some cool new cases to start rolling out!

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Did you say that or was it your fahzsha?

21. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

im sorry but the iphone 4 is a complete piece of s h it

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You got it. :)

23. mauropelosi macrumors newbie

that professor has a student too!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mauropelosi#p/u/10/ddLMnSr8fmU

http://ing.dk/artikel/97470-et-fast-greb-om-mobilen-toemmer-batteriet

24. mauropelosi macrumors newbie

that professor has a student too!

http://vbn.aau.dk/files/19177545/book.pdf

look at the cover page (iphone+human hand bones...)

25. army91c macrumors 6502a

Maybe you could also be sorry for being a troll? Just a thought.

I don't mind people complaining about the phone.... maybe they are having all these issues which a lot of us don't have/can't reproduce. To come out with such a statement without any qualifying back up statements just shows ignorance.