Dannnnnnng look what I found

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krafty, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Looking through some junk in my moms garage:

ThinkPad 760XL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Awesome! I always love finding stuff like that. My first laptop was the combination of several G3 powerbooks. I bought a working one from a friend, replaced parts in it with one that I dove into a dumpster for, and then more parts from another broken one that was given to me. Frankenbook lived with my grandma, now it lives with one of my cousins. IBM notebooks are super tough - what are you going to do with it? Any plans?

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

your point is? its a old thinkpad? woo so exicting

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

one mans trash...

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

If you dont like it, leave the thread or click here
    Not sure, it has 98 on it, since I havent used it in a while I was toying with it. My mom said if someone wanted it they could have it.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

it's always fun to find things; especially computers!:cool::D

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Dang it, why did I click that?:eek:

Nice find, you could probably have a decent linux machine with that.

Or not, you know, whatever.

8. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I've never tried Lunix. It has 48MB RAM, teh CPU speed didnt display in the Info.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately Xubuntu claims to require 64mb RAM, but maybe you should try it's older versions.

This page shows that 48mb meets the absolute minimum requirements

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

There is Damn Small Linux, only needs 16MB ram.

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Interesting. Perhaps I should try it out.

12. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

DLS is horrible to use, the UI is so muddled. To each their own, mind. You should try Puppy Linux, its far better.

13. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright, I looked into both. I've seen nice screenshots of Linux but never used it. If its good enough, I have 150gB left on my 250GB MB, so maybe I could put it on VMware.

14. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Hey, theres nothing wrong with old machines. Some of us like to re-purpose old hardware...

I was given a pretty old Thinkpad (560) as well. It came with Win95 and a PCMCIA CD-ROM. I upgraded it to Win98SE for awhile before deciding that the best thing to do with it was install Linux. I went with Slackware 7.0. The only thing was that I couldn't get X-Window to work so its a console only machine. I still use it too. In fact, I'm getting ready to hook the Thinkpad up to a SparcServer 5 I was given and it and try my hand at learning how to work it as a serial terminal.

15. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Nice find. I love Thinkpads, and it looks to be in pretty good shape.

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Nice find... there's always something you can do with a spare laptop. Can make a surprisingly good little web/mail server if you're that way inclined (if you're not a server geek, ignore me; if you are, take a look at SME server *grin*).

A good friend runs DSL on an old Thinkpad as his kitchen computer - just running the basics such as web browsing, email and gaim. Works real well.

17. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Taking a better look at it I dont seem to think it has an ethernet or modem in it. I did find a detachable CD-ROM drive so that should be good enough.

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Okay, I'll take it. Fun find there. ....And thank you in advance!

19. YeahIKnow macrumors member

Dang! - I was expecting you to rickroll him!:D

20. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Dude, SME rocked! (I haven't used it since like 2003 / 2004 ish, but it was great!)

Definitely check this dude's recommendation - http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

21. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

iMac 2.0ghz 20'' Aluminum, Powerbook 12'' 1.3ghz, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, eMac, Original iMac, Clamshell Orange iBook, G4/G3 PowerMacs

wwwwooooooooo so exciting... one billion computers you dont neeeeed. lets try not to be an ass. go buy some textbooks

congrats on your find Krafty!

22. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, now that they suggested to try Linux, I think I'll give that a whirl first.
    Im a mod on another forum so people do it too often, I find it too predictable but it would have been a good laugh.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to do it later cause the last thing I need is a distraction from my schoolwork. :cool:

23. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have one!

I think mine is a ThinkPad 765, but it's more or less the same as the OP.

At the moment it's sitting up in the attic collecting dust. I bought it to replace a dearly loved stolen ThinkPad 365 (P1 120 mhz) for about £150, more years ago than I care to remember. I think it's a P2 266mhz, I wanted for some reason the MMX version, and I couldn't afford anything better.

The battery was already dead when I got it, which helped make it cheaper, but the motherboard connector to the power lead was a little dodgy, so if it got wriggled wrong, it would power off instantly. I ended up never using it that much, and a couple of years later, after getting a new job, I bought a new Powerbook 15'' instead :)

If anyone wants mine, I could be persuaded to give it away to a London MR member. I was thinking a couple of months ago of making my 765 into a digital picture frame, but I don't really have the spare time.