Dare I get a Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by starhubble, Jan 9, 2014.

1. starhubble macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I've been dead set on buying a Mac mini for a while now but recently (by chance) read about the HDMI problems. I will be using this Mac mini as an HTPC so HDMI functionality is of course a priority.

Has this problem been fixed yet or is it still a factor?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already and I'm missing it.

Thanks!

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I just bought a base i7 mini and have it connected via HDMI to a Sharp 32" 1080p tv. I don't know what specific HDMI issues you are referring to but I have not noticed any problem other than when my tv powers itself down, on power up and waking the mini it takes a little while for the screen to come alive (I don't know if it is the tv or the mini). After it comes alive everything is normal.

3. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Ive a current i5 base model, purchased almost a month ago, no problems with hdmi.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Hdmi issues have been resolved. Only a few people having issues and I question whether it's the computer or the user at this point!

5. starhubble thread starter macrumors newbie

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Believe all the HDMI issues were quite a while back.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

It could be neither. I have a PS3 Slim that has an HDMI issue with a new Samsung HDTV I recently purchased. I have several devices on it without any problems. The PS3 Slim causes the Samsung display to flicker and flash.

I moved the same PS3 Slim back to a Toshiba HDTV that never had that problem and it works fine. If I put it back to the Samsung, the problem reappears. So it's permanently on the Toshiba.

8. blanka macrumors 68000

As you want it as HTPC, you can also get a 2009/2010 model. The Nividia's definitely don't have HDMI issues, and I think they are also more flexible with getting 23.976Hz etc. You can also built in a BR drive if you like, and they are much cheaper.