iPad mini Daring Fireball retina mini review, an interesting read

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fanchee, Nov 16, 2013.

1. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

"I’ve also seen reports of white-balance issue, or yellow-ish tinting, with the new Mini. To my eyes, colors are nearly identical between the Mini, the Air, and my iPhone 5S."

He must not be a forum regular... :rolleyes:

:D

3. fanchee thread starter macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Right! Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

"Who are you going to believe? Me, or your lying eyes?"

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I meant he wasn't part of the bashing, because I own both and agree with him. :eek:

5. fanchee thread starter macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I own a retina mini and mine is perfect (to my lying eyes).

:)

6. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Didn't you know he's just a kool-aid drinking fanboi?

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, no. I've found his reviews to be balanced, professional and informative.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

It is interesting how he and Anand draw different conclusions, though. Anand did detect a bigger performance difference (granted his tests are intense and he does concede the average user won't notice), and he is more thorough about the display differences. Gruber says the mini is a no-compromises device and Anand is explicit that it isn't no-compromises because of the display.

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

If you ever want to go nuts, line up all your Apple devices from your Macbook to your iPads, iPhones and ipod touch, put one something with a white screen, and try to pick the best! The nice thing is that, within limits, they all look good when by themselves.

10. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Thisis a fine example of how many users don't notice things like gamut of minor display imperfections. I wish I was one of them.

Lower gamut on mini. End of story. If you don't care of don't notice, also fine. I care, and am disappointed, but still like my rMini.

11. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Personally i wouldn't take notice of anyones opinion who has such a badly designed website.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That's ok. And as you say interesting. Different people can come to different conclusions based on the same data. And they express their ideas a lot more clearly and in a much more balanced fashioned than some here. No comments about it being "crippled", "unusable", "gimped" and such. While hyperbole is fun in the playground, it grates when describing electronics.

I take what Anandtech and any other reviewer says and I consider it using my own experience, knowledge and opinions, and reach my own conclusions.

13. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Gimped gamut-gate :D

14. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Fireball reviews, it's an apple product 12 out 10!

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Mac Rumor forums: don't enjoy your device but keep testing and nitpicking your it until you finally think you've found a flaw. Those who don't have flaws haven't tried hard enough to find one yet.

16. LabGuy macrumors member

This is why I never take advice from anyone here since they all of a god-complex along with a healthy dose of OCD.

17. technopimp macrumors 6502a

That may have to be my new signature. :D

18. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Bingo.

I found John's review to be completely fair.

19. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

There are some good posters on these forums. I had an issue with being locked out of iPhoto on my rMBP last week, and someone helped me very quickly.

There are as many positive comments about the latest iPads, so sift through and judge for yourself. ;) I've never heard of Daring Fireball before, but his review seems fine. Anandtech's reviews comport with my overall impression of the products I own, and that gives me enough comfort to sleep at night. :D

20. LabGuy macrumors member

Jon Gruber is one of the most respected Mac commentators in Apple's history.

21. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

and yet Anand picked the mini in the end