Dark and light spots on rMBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duckrabbit, Jul 30, 2012.

1. duckrabbit macrumors member

Hi everyone. I've recently been noticing an issue with the screen on my rMPB. I'm hesitant to take it in since this one does not exhibit burn-in, and the first one I got did. I think the issue is that the backlighting is uneven, but I'm not so sure. It is not uneven enough to be noticeable on a black background, but when I move a solid white or gray window around, I can see non-moving light and dark areas above the image. It's also noticeable on light colored backgrounds. I tried taking a video of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZIVUYS_cY

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

3. duckrabbit thread starter macrumors member

I know the video is bad :eek:. Here's a test that I would really appreciate if someone else with an rMBP could try: Go to the google home page, maximize the window, and drag it left and right. Focus on the surface of the screen rather than the image under the screen. Do you notice light and dark blotches in the white areas of the window that blur together when you're done moving the window?

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure seeing very faint hues of darker colors while moving a solid color image back and forth is perfectly normal. I noticed it on my returned rMBP, but that's not the reason I returned it, I notice it on my dell 24inch monitor as well as my 40inch sony bravia.

5. duckrabbit thread starter macrumors member

That's good to know. The one thing that has me questioning whether or not this is normal is that the spots always appear at the same locations.

6. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

That wouldn't be normal if you can always see them regardless of moving a solid image left and right. I would call up apple.

7. duckrabbit, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

duckrabbit thread starter macrumors member

After looking at it a bit more, I think there are actually two separate issues. One is that there is a slight color gradient noticeable on light backgrounds. My first machine and my previous macbook were much worse in this regard, so I can live with this. The other is the dark spots on moving solid colors. They always appear at the same locations but disappear when nothing is moving, so I suppose this is normal.

Edit: Strange as it may sound, I also see the dark areas if I physically move my machine while its set to a solid color desktop. The spots go away when I stop moving it. I think I'm just noticing differences in the backlighting that are so small that my eyes can blend it all together when I can focus on it (when nothing's moving).

Probably I'm only noticing these things because I'm paranoid after returning one with burn-in. Even with these issues, this screen is the best I've ever had on a laptop, so I don't think I'll be going in for another exchange.

8. BkkChris macrumors newbie

I had the same thing on my rMBP, but more annoying was the slight yellow gradient off to one corner/side of the screen.

Returned it and ended up with an Air, which has its own screen issues. But I am picky.

9. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Check for these 5 common display problems HERE

You should try check for backlight bleeding in a dark environment and solid black background to see if you have any yellow/white tints on the edges of the screen.

10. usmaak macrumors regular

That reminds me of a few of the iPad 3s that I had and returned. I'm serious. I had flashbacks when watching your video. If you put an entirely white screen up, is it yellowish on the left hand side of the screen?

11. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I've measured my retina display with a densitometer twice now. At worst there was a 2% luminosity difference across the entire display. That's a far better spec than most color calibrated monitors.